Cucumber Relish (sweet relish)

Cucumber Relish 4 c. ground unpeeled cucumbers 1 c. ground bell peppers 1/2 c. ground red peppers 3 c. ground onions 3 c. ground celery 1/4 c. salt 3 1/2 c. sugar 2 c. vinegar

canning, cut, food, half, hamburger, hat, hey, large, meat, perfect, recipe, red, scoop, seeds, spoon, subs, super, sweet, veggies, zucchini, Other, ground, relish, peppers, seed, sugar, cucumber, celery, water, vegetables, minutes, favorite, vinegar, tbsp, combine, salt, mustard, yields, bath, enjoy, pints, boiling, secure, tightly, process, jalapeno, band, mine, version, hope

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Cucumber Relish (sweet relish)

Cucumber Relish

4 c. ground unpeeled cucumbers
    1 c. ground bell peppers
    1/2 c. ground red peppers
    3 c. ground onions
    3 c. ground celery
    1/4 c. salt
    3 1/2 c. sugar
    2 c. vinegar
    1 tbsp. celery seed
    1 tbsp. mustard seed

Use coarse blade on grinder. Combine all vegetables in large bowl; sprinkle with salt. Cover with cold water and let stand 4 hours. Drain well in colander; press out all excess liquid.
    Combine sugar, vinegar, celery seed and mustard seed. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved. Stir in drained vegetables. Simmer for 10 minutes. Pack in jars to within 1/2 inch of top. Put on band cap and secure tightly. Process in boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Yields 5-6 pints.

**You can also put about 10 ground jalapeno peppers (if hot relish is desired)

This is my all time favorite recipe for cucumber relish. I don't add the hot peppers to mine. We like the sweet version the best. Hope you like this recipe too and it becomes one of your favorite. Enjoy!!!
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to tsgal For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cucumber Relish (sweet relish)

Tonia, thanks for sharing your recipe. I will be sure to try it!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes this is a super recipe for relish and you can substitute zucchini for the cucumbers since they are very similar in texture. If the cucumber has large seeds I highly recommend you cut them in half and scoop them out with a spoon.

And if you don't have a meat/food grinder, get one, because it grinds the veggies down with a precision that is perfect for relishes. A food processor just can't do what a food grinder can.

I just finished canning cucumber relish, zucchini relish and a hamburger relish (red).
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh boy, I never thought of using zucchini. Thanks!

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have also used zucchini, it is also very good. I've even ground it up and froze it for laster use. Such as zucchini bread, very moist bread and good too. On the cucumber relish, I also scooped out the seeds. They were very large, and I really didn't want that in the relish. I used a spoon and it works great. I used a processor to chop my veggies, because I don't have a grinder. But I'm sure that a grinder would be nice to have. Someday I may be able to get one.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.