Frugal sweet rolls

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Frugal sweet rolls

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Janice Terrell

Dip the top of each unbaked bisciut in melted butter then in a mixture of cinnamon & sugar. Turn sugared side up & place in a baking pan with sides touching. Bake as per instructions. When done drizzle top with a powdered sugar glaze. I use either vanilla extract and milk or orange extract and orange juice to make the glaze. The orange is a particular favorite of mine. Experiment with this recipe to make it your own using nuts, raisins or any of the different extracts.

mos

are we talking homemade or canned? if canned, any particular type of biscuit work better than another — Texas style, butter-me-nots, grands, etc.?

Janice Terrell

You could certainly use homemade but when my kids were little and the stores ran canned biscuits at 10/$1, I used canned. It was also quicker for breakfast on school days. Any kind works but I was thinking about the kind that come apart in layers. You could open them up and put a little of the goodies in the middle – like butter, cinnanom & sugar, chopped nuts, raisins or fruit or whatever you choose. Hadn’t thought about that before. You could experiment with the glaze, too. Try different juices. I’m wondering if you could use liquid jello (before it sets). If that works you could have any flavor glaze you wanted. Hmmmmm…..

tsgal

Janice this is great……I’ll will be trying this one for sure. Thanks for sharing your recipe. 🙂

Janice Terrell

You’re welcome Tonia. Now that I’ve been thinking about these today I’m in the mood to play around with them and see if I can come up with something new!!! Let me know how you like them.

mos

okay…now you’ve done it! putting the flaky biscuits on the list so when they’re on sale… LOL!

Janice Terrell

You know – I’ve been thinking about these. Could you, maybe, put a tiny spoon of jelly between the layers sort of like jelly filled donuts? Or maybe it would melt and run out when they are baked. Maybe you could add the jelly after they are baked using a pastry bag with small tip? What do you think?

wilbe95

Not sure how it would work putting the jelly between layers, but if you made a dent in the top and filled it with jelly before baking it might taste similar to Kolachi’s.

Janice Terrell

Thanks Kim. That might just work. I’ll give it a try.

mos

hate to dampen ideas, but…jelly is going to melt in minutes! jam or preserves might make it. I’m thinking clustering the flaky biscuits — maybe three (?) — smushing them together — and then squishing in the jam or preserves (the latter is my recommendation) from the center. can you picture this? I’ll try this when it’s time to hit the store if no one has figured it out before than…

Janice Terrell

How about pie filling? Separate the flakey biscuits so the bottom is thicker than the top, make an indentation in the bottom part and add some fruit pie filling, put the top back on, brush with butter, sprinkle with cinnamon & sugar and bake. More like tiny pies than sweet rolls, though. Of course doing all this kind of takes away the speedy, frugal part which is why I liked them in the first place. Some great ideas, though.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget Menu & Dirt Cheap Recipes Breakfast Ideas Frugal sweet rolls