Question ~ Starting Seeds Indoors

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Question ~ Starting Seeds Indoors

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      jkpjohnson

OK normally I start plants outdoors and rarely have no problems getting them to start and flurish. This year I decided to try to start a couple lettuce & spinich & tomato plants indoors. I was planning on growing these indoors as described in earlier posts using a florecent light (brchell).

Well I did the wet paper towel thing, but the plants grew to about 3-4 inches, very thin w/few leaves then they became too heavy and folded over, then died. I do not get alot of natuarl sun light (lower level apartment) so I was using the florecent light a few hours a day.

Why wont the stem get thicker to support the height? Should i not use the light until the plant is much steadier? I’m I giving them too much water?

:022::022:

lcove2000

You can use the lights from seed until plants but, they need much longer flourescent light time…like 10-12 hours daily (think of mimicking the sun) Keep them moist when seeds and seedlings at least until they sprout their second set of leaves. It also helps if they are only about 6 inches away from the light, it helps to have the light(s) on a chain so that you can raise it as they grow. Good luck.

ctack2

Also, either run a fan on the plants, or lightly brush your hand across them whenever you pass to help strenghthen the stems.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives Gardening & Landscaping Question ~ Starting Seeds Indoors