Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Penne with Cauliflower

fresh cauliflower can be expensive unless you grab it off of the mark-down rack or grow your own! I use the mark-down rack and trim it! LOL!
    Penne with Cauliflower
    1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
    salt to taste
    1/3 cup olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    6 anchovy fillets
    pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tbs parsley
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 lb pkg of penne or 1/2 lb pkg of pennette (the smaller version)

1/4 cup bread crumbs
    Bring 4 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Add the cauliflower and 1 1/2 tbs of salt. Boil. until tender, about 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to retrieve the florest, then cut them into dice, and set aside.
    Reserve the cooking water. Warm all but a tbs of the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and anchovies, and saute until the garlic is soft and the anchovies dissolve into the oil, 2-3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cauliflower, and continue to saute for 3 minutes. Add the parsley and broth and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the cauliflower disintegrates in the liquid, about 5 minutes.
    Bring the cauliflower cooking water to a boil adding enough fresh water to make 4 quarts. Add the penne and cook according to directions. When the pasta is done, drain and add to the skillet with the cauliflower sauce. Quickly, in a separate small skillet over medium or medium-low heat, warm the remaining oil and add the bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the crumbs are just golden, about 1 minute.
    sprinkle the bread crumbs over the pasta and serve immediately. 4 servings = about 320 calories.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Penne with Cauliflower

This is a really interesting way to use cauliflower. I've never heard of cooking it until it dissolves to make a sauce. Thanks for the idea!

Mary

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Penne with Cauliflower

you are very welcome! I didn't know either until I over-cooked some and thought, 'hmmm, how can I use this to my advantage in the future?' serindipity can provide lots of useful information if we choose to apply it