Penne with Cauliflower- Dirt Cheap Dinners

fresh cauliflower can be expensive unless you grab it off of the mark-down rack or grow your own! I use the mark-down rack and trim it! LOL! Penne with Cauliflower:107: 1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets salt to taste 1/3 cup olive oil 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped 6 anchovy

cauliflower, chicken, cooking, cup, drain, fresh, garlic, large, minutes, or 1, pasta, pen, penne, pepper, red, sauce, set, skillet, soft, water, crumbs, boil, bread, cook, bring, quarts, broth, flakes, parsley, constantly, anchovies, warm, saute, stirring, continue, salt, rack, mark-down, medium-low, heat, servings, minute, dissolve, calories, golden, immediately, remaining, disintegrates, separate, directions

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Penne with Cauliflower

fresh cauliflower can be expensive unless you grab it off of the mark-down rack or grow your own! I use the mark-down rack and trim it! LOL!
    Penne with Cauliflower
    1 head cauliflower, trimmed and cut into florets
    salt to taste
    1/3 cup olive oil
    4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    6 anchovy fillets
    pinch of crushed red pepper flakes
    1 tbs parsley
    1 cup chicken broth
    1 lb pkg of penne or 1/2 lb pkg of pennette (the smaller version)
    1/4 cup bread crumbs
    Bring 4 quarts of water to a rapid boil. Add the cauliflower and 1 1/2 tbs of salt. Boil. until tender, about 7 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to retrieve the florest, then cut them into dice, and set aside.
    Reserve the cooking water. Warm all but a tbs of the oil in a large skillet. Add the garlic and anchovies, and saute until the garlic is soft and the anchovies dissolve into the oil, 2-3 minutes. Add the pepper flakes and cauliflower, and continue to saute for 3 minutes. Add the parsley and broth and continue to cook, stirring constantly, until the cauliflower disintegrates in the liquid, about 5 minutes.
    Bring the cauliflower cooking water to a boil adding enough fresh water to make 4 quarts. Add the penne and cook according to directions. When the pasta is done, drain and add to the skillet with the cauliflower sauce. Quickly, in a separate small skillet over medium or medium-low heat, warm the remaining oil and add the bread crumbs. Cook, stirring constantly, until the crumbs are just golden, about 1 minute.
    sprinkle the bread crumbs over the pasta and serve immediately. 4 servings = about 320 calories.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Penne with Cauliflower

This is a really interesting way to use cauliflower. I've never heard of cooking it until it dissolves to make a sauce. Thanks for the idea!

Mary

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Penne with Cauliflower

you are very welcome! I didn't know either until I over-cooked some and thought, 'hmmm, how can I use this to my advantage in the future?' serindipity can provide lots of useful information if we choose to apply it