Meat Croquettes

Meat Croquettes 1 1/2 cups of finely chopped cooked meat (roasted, broiled, grilled, boiled) 3/4 cup of béchamel sauce 1/2 cup of grated white cheddar or if too strong, use Swiss 2 eggs, separated 1 tbs minced onion 1tsp parsley bread crumbs olive oil for frying 1 tsp salt

ball, bowl, cheese, croquettes, drain, eggs, grilled, hot, ingredients, meat, minutes, mix, paper, plate, roasted, sausage, shape, small, water, white, sauce, béchamel, breadcrumbs, frying, salt, onion, whites, minced, pepper, parsley, towels, serve, sides, absorbent, beat, shapes, meatball, servings, pattie, mixture, place, bottom, cover, heat, medium-high, shallow, browned, tablespoons, combine, strong

Thread: Meat Croquettes

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cool Meat Croquettes

Meat Croquettes
    1 1/2 cups of finely chopped cooked meat (roasted, broiled, grilled, boiled)
    3/4 cup of béchamel sauce
    1/2 cup of grated white cheddar or if too strong, use Swiss
    2 eggs, separated
    1 tbs minced onion
    1tsp parsley
    bread crumbs
    olive oil for frying

1 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp pepper
    Make a small quantity of béchamel sauce, or use commercially prepared sauce (I'll never tell). In a bowl, combine the minced meat, lightly beaten egg yolks, cheese, béchamel, onion, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix ingredients well and allow to rest for 10 minutes. Shape the mixture into meatball, pattie, or sausage shapes. Beat the egg whites with 1-2 tablespoons of water, and place the breadcrumbs in a shallow bowl or plate. Cover the bottom of a frying pan with oil and heat at medium-high. Dip the croquettes into the breadcrumbs, then the egg whites, then the breadcrumbs again. Fry until browned on both sides, and drain on absorbent paper towels. Serve hot. 4 servings.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Meat Croquettes

mos -- I LOVE croquettes. In fact, I bought a can of salmon yesterday to make some! I make chicken croquettes, salmon, fish--I am always asking my husband to bring home a big catfish skeleton which I can poach to get the extra "free" fish to make fish croquettes.

My basic recipe is a little simpler. I make a thick white sauce. (I am starting to feel like a dinosaur--most "young cooks do not know terms like croquette or white sauce)
    I add my "meat" to the white sauce along with any appropriate flavoring for example ham gets mustard, salmon and fish get "Old Bay Seasoning", chicken gets some chicken bouillion, beef gets a little soy or worchestershire. I add veggies according to what I have-onion, green peppers, mushrooms, finely chopped water chestnuts--whatever. I just make sure the mixture will stay together. I put the mixture in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to "firm" up.
    I make the croquettes then bathe them in egg wash and panko crumbs. I place them on a large cookie sheet and drizzle a little EVOO over and bake them until done.
    I love these but then I was bought up in New England and these were very common.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Meat Croquettes

your recipe does look yummy! I just realized that I should have added 'and fish' to the ingredients! LOL! it works with any leftover meat, fish, or shellfish. the little cans of shrimp or crab or oysters or clams that I find at Big Lots sometimes works really well. when DD was little and we had cod for dinner, she always asked if there was enough leftover for 'cakes!' LOL! she thought cod cakes were her name for them