Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Baking questions from a complete beginner *and other cooking questions*

Okay, so after finding this site my time old interest in learning to bake has been rekindled. I was never taught to cook by my mother...except for home made spaghetti and a cheese whiz recipe. Beyond that I've learned on my own. Well, the baking stuff confuses me!

Here are some things I would love to know;

1. What do you grease things with? In a recipe for cake in a jar it says to grease jars...but doesn't say what the grease is.

2. What is folding? Such as folding eggs?

3. How could I bake bread with out a bread pan?

4. If you don't have a rolling pin....what can you use to flatten dough?

5. Are there any substitutions for wax or parchment paper? What if I don't have these?

6. What if I don't have measuring items? There's a debate in my house as to how big my spoons are.

7.If you add a little more than the recipe calls for *by mistake* will it destroy the food?

I apologize for the many questions...cause I will probably think of more as the day goes on.... but when it comes to baked goods... I'm like the fairy in Sleeping Beauty who tries to bake a cake... >.> It doesn't go well at all.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Archenstone For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Baking questions from a complete beginner *and other cooking questions*

Ask away!

You grease your pans with butter, margarine, cooking oil, cooking oil spray or (old time--lard or bacon grease).

To Fold means to combine the ingredients by blending with a spoon, wire whisk, or spatula using a up and over motion--get under the ingredients and gently lift and turn --repeat until mixed.

You can bake bread on a cookie sheet or in any pan (pizza pans work good). Just put the dough in the center and bake.

You can flatten dough by using the palm of your hand, the handle of a wooden spoon, a wooden dowel, A flat bar, a glass, a jar or if you make sure it is covered really well with wax paper you could use a flat iron (not Hot!).

You can use brown paper bags in place of wax or parchment paper but you can also just use grease and flour (lightly grease the pan and sprinkle flour on top).

The measuring items is a little trickier. I would invest in at least a set of measuring spoons, but if all you have is your flatware--take your tea stirring spoon and use it as a teaspoon measure. (I have found mine to be really close to the measuring spoons)--(You could use this and just use three of those spoonfuls as a tablespoon measure or you could put three of these into one of your flatware tablespoons and see how much it lacks or overflows. ) There are 16 tablespoons in one cup. 1 pound of sugar or butter is equal to 2 cups.

Destroy? Maybe not but it will change the flavor. It all depends on what you are making and what the ingredient is that you put in more of. For instance, if the ingredient you put more in is cinnamon (depending on how much more) and you are making a pumpkin pie you could end up with it tasting like cinnamon pie instead of a pumpkin pie. Might be good if you like the taste of cinnamon, but not if you don't.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia
    Last edited by Virginia; 07-14-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Baking questions from a complete beginner *and other cooking questions*

Great tips Virginia.

I would however get measuring spoon and measuring cups for baking. (it's usually the only time I'm careful with measuring) the rising of bread and cakes depends on the proper amount of yeast, sugar, salt, baking powder, baking soda, liquids, etc. A dollar store should have measuring spoons, measuring cup for dry ingredients and a measuring cup for liquids. The $3 investment would be wise and you can wing the rest.

Cooking is an art - baking is a science
    Niddi

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds like all the bases have been covered here. You lady's have given all the info. a person would need. Just take the tips the the lady's have given here and you should be fine. Cooking is an art, that's for sure. I love to cook and bake. I had to learn the hard way too. It's all about trial and error, that's the best way to learn. You'll get the hang of things. As time goes by you'll find yourself getting more creative with things.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

The measuring cups and spoons can be purchased for $1 a set at the Dollar Tree or most $1 shops. They work as well as the pricey ones. The advice from all the above posters is very sound and thorough.

Happy baking!!!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh you're going to have so much fun! Don't get discouraged by your mistakes! Learn from them, that's how we all learn and improve! Don't be afraid to ask more questions. Someone here will be able to help you out!

Cherlynn

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you all for your replies! I'll have to check out the local dollar tree from some measuring stuff and maybe a bread pan since I don't have one. It also turns out that I no longer have a cake pan! XD I went to make a cake, one of the few baking things I can do, and found it gone! Which means momma took it when she moved. haha

Its off the topic for baking....but....

Is there any way to do the crock pot meals if you don't own crockpot? Between bills and diapers my money is shot for the month! Those crock pot recipes look mighty tempting though...

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can put them in a casserole dish and put them in a slow oven like 300 and let it bake. It will cook faster but same great food! Look in thrift stores for a good working crockpot. My son got his for $1 !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast