Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hotel Cooking

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Hotel Cooking

We are going to be going on vacation for a few weeks and will be staying in a hotel. Anyone have any ideas on hotel cooking? I have no idea what to cook in the hotel room. I need help LOL!

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to mbabb29340 For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Hotel Cooking

Does the hotel room have a kitchen or will you have just a microwave and small fridge??
    Is there a grocery store nearby? Are you planning on eating in most of the time? It would help if you could provide just a little more info.
    Niddi

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can use your coffee pot to heat water hot enough to heat up anything in a can. Heat your water, plop a can carefully into the pot, and let it sit for a while. Be careful taking it out of the pot. Open carefully and eat.

Use water heated in the above mentioned strategy to fill a cup o ramen.

A bagged salad, a pouch of chicken breast (sold by the tuna in cans), some sliced almonds, and a dressing few dressing packets from Wendy's etc.

Peanut butter & jelly sandwiches
    Michelle

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can use the coffee pot for really anything from making soups and ramen noodles. Use the iron for grilled cheese sandwiches and paninis. Using the microwave in the lobby or room is always a simple solution. here are some cool ideas...

Make oatmeal in the coffee maker. Put two packets of instant oatmeal into the carafe. Add an individual packet of honey, an individual packet of fruit jam, and a pinch of salt. Put an herbal tea bag (e.g. orange flavored) into the filter basket. Pour 8-10 ounces of water into the coffee maker, turn on the machine, and the oatmeal will be ready in about 5 minutes

Cook bacon with the iron. Cut bacon strips in half and place them between two foil sheets. Crimp the edges of the foil sheets together to prevent grease from spilling out. Iron the bacon, opening the packet carefully with a fork every few minutes to check to see if the bacon is done and to let out the steam. It'll take about 10 minutes to get slightly crisp bacon

Use the iron as a hotplate for eggs. Prop the iron so that the ironing surface is horizontal. Make a little foil pan and grease it with bacon fat or butter. Crack one or two eggs into it and wait 7-10 minutes (until the eggs hold together) then flip them over to cook on the other side

Prepare soft-boiled eggs in the coffee maker. Place the eggs carefully into the carafe and let the hot water drip over them. Then let the eggs sit in the water for a few minutes.

Use the coffee maker as a vegetable steamer. Place carrots, broccoli, etc. in the filter basket of the coffee maker. Run water through the coffee maker several time to achieve desired tenderness

Lemon Pepper Chicken- Place chicken breast in coffee maker. Add enough water to cover about 1/4 of chicken. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Turn on maker and cook about 15 min per side. Add milk and butter to remaining liquid allow to heat for a minute and add potato flakes for a quick side of mashed potatoes.

Want more ideas, let me know. I am going on vacation in a few weeks to Dallas and I am taking my hotel room cookbook with me.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

lokilove
    These are some really neat ideas. Would never have thought of doing anything but heating soup in the coffeepot. WOW!! Have you done these? Is there really a hotelroom cookbook in print or is this your personal book. This would be neat for college kids that live in dorms also (although I'm sure most of them have a microwave/fridge combo in the rooms) The ingenuity of people amazes me.
    Niddi

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hey Niddi, 2 important things to remember, wash out the pot very well after each use, if it is known that you used the coffee pot for other than coffee the management may not be to happy and if there is any taste left behind the coffee may taste weird. second, make sure that the coffee pot being used is in good condition, if the hotel you are staying at is not a "quality" place, you can detect this by looking at the bottom of the pot-if there is rust, then someone has been making meth, don't use it for even coffee.

The cookbook in question is one I pieced together from my own adventures and in the internet. I don't mind handing it out so here it is so far...

1. Make oatmeal in the coffee maker. Put two packets of instant oatmeal into the carafe. Add an individual packet of honey, an individual packet of fruit jam, and a pinch of salt. Put an herbal tea bag (e.g. orange flavored) into the filter basket. Pour 8-10 ounces of water into the coffee maker, turn on the machine, and the oatmeal will be ready in about 5 minutes. Here's a money saving tip, if you don't have instant oatmeal on hand at home before you leave, here's how to make some cheap
    * 3 cups Quick-Cooking Oats
    * Salt
    * Small sized Zip Baggies

Put 1/2 cup oats in a blender and blend on high until powdery. Set aside in a small bowl, and repeat procedure with an additional 1/2 cup oats. If you're using a food processor, you can do the 1 cup of oats
    in one batch. Put the following ingredients into each zip baggie: cup un-powdered oats, 2 Tbsp. powdered oats, and 1/8 tsp. salt. Store in an airtight container.

To serve: Empty packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup boiling water. Stir
    and let stand for 2 minutes. For thicker oatmeal, use less water - for
    thinner oatmeal, use more water.

Variations:
    Apple-Cinnamon Oatmeal- To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar, 1/4 tsp.
    cinnamon, and 2 Tbsp. chopped dried apples.

Sweetened Oatmeal- To each packet add 1 Tbsp. sugar or 1 packet
    'Equal' artificial sweetener.

Brown Sugar/Cinnamon Oatmeal - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
    & 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Oatmeal w/Raisins & Brown Sugar - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. packed
    brown sugar and 1 Tbsp. raisins.

Health Nut Oatmeal - To each packet add 2 Tbsp. any kind of wheat germ

Fruit & Cream Oatmeal - To each packet add 1 Tbsp. non-dairy coffee
    creamer and 2 Tbsp. dried fruit

Fun Fruit Oatmeal - To each packet, add 6 or 7 pieces of 'fruit snack'
    type dehydrated fruit.

Confetti Oatmeal - To each packet, add 1 tsp. decorative cake/cookie
    sprinkles.

S'More Oatmeal - add 6 miniature marshmallows and 1 Tbsp. Milk
    Chocolate Chips to each packet.

Cookies n Cream Oatmeal - add 1 crushed Oreo cookie and 1 Tbsp.
    non-dairy coffee creamer to each packet.

Exploding Oatmeal - add 1 tsp. sugar, and 1/2 tsp. 'Pop Rocks' candy
    to each packet. This one is fun for celebration days, such as birthdays.

Bart-man Oatmeal - add 2 Tbsp. 'Butterfinger B.B's' candies to each
    packet.

2.Cook bacon with the iron. Cut bacon strips in half and place them between two foil sheets. Crimp the edges of the foil sheets together to prevent grease from spilling out. Iron the bacon, opening the packet carefully with a fork every few minutes to check to see if the bacon is done and to let out the steam. It'll take about 10 minutes to get slightly crisp bacon

3. Use the iron as a hotplate for eggs. Prop the iron so that the ironing surface is horizontal. Make a little foil pan and grease it with bacon fat or butter. Crack one or two eggs into it and wait 7-10 minutes (until the eggs hold together) then flip them over to cook on the other side

4. Prepare soft-boiled eggs in the coffee maker. Place the eggs carefully into the carafe and let the hot water drip over them. Then let the eggs sit in the water for a few minutes

5. Prepare ramen noodles in the coffee maker. Put the noodles in the carafe. Add enough water to submerge the noodles and turn the coffee maker on. After the water runs through the coffee maker, let the noodles soak in it for about three minutes, or however long it takes for the noodles to soften. Then drain carefully and add the seasoning

6. Make a grilled cheese sandwich using the iron. You can also use the same method to make a quesadilla. There is also the dessert version of grilled cheese, using peanut butter and chocolate chips, the refrigerator kind.

7. Use the iron as a skillet/grill. Wrap chicken, fish, vegetables, etc. in foil, place the foil-wrapped food on the ironing board, and put the iron, on the highest setting, over the top. Just make sure the foil is sealed so that juices don't come out and ruin the iron or the surface you're cooking on. The more cooking that the food requires, the less room there is for error, so try to stick with food that only needs searing, such as scallops.

8. Use the coffee maker as a vegetable steamer. Place carrots, broccoli, etc. in the filter basket of the coffee maker. Run water through the coffee maker several time to achieve desired tenderness

9. Make instant rice in the coffee maker. Run the appropriate amount of water, per the instructions on the rice package, through the coffee maker and then add the rice to the coffee pot. Leave the burner on until the rice has thoroughly cooked and absorbed most of the water

10. Make sauce in the coffee maker. Sauces and fondues can be made by running water through the coffee maker and adding the heated water to a sauce mix. You should never run anything other than water through the coffee maker. These machines are made to heat water only, the water comes into direct contact with the heating element. Sauces will burn onto the heating element, ruining the coffee maker.

11. Lemon Pepper Chicken- Place chicken breast in coffee maker. Add enough water to cover about 1/4 of chicken. Sprinkle with lemon pepper seasoning. Turn on maker and cook about 15 min per side. Add milk and butter to remaining liquid allow to heat for a minute and add potato flakes for a quick side of mashed potatoes

12. Use the ice bucket as a salad bowl

Dinner kinda complicated but very good.

1. Set the iron to the highest setting with the steam turned off.

2. Fill a coffee filter with six broccoli florets. Load into the coffee maker. Run six cups of water through for tender but still crisp veggies.

3. Put 1/2 cup of instant rice per person in the coffee maker. Run the appropriate amount of water (check the box for instructions) through the coffee maker, then leave the machine turned on for 5 to 10 minutes until the rice is fully cooked.

4. Season four large scallops per person on both sides with salt and pepper, and place between two sheets of foil. Place the hot iron on top of the foil and press down to sear lightly for 1 to 2 minutes per side.

5. Dice one small shallot into the coffee maker. Load two to four sprigs of fresh thyme into the filter basket without a filter, then run 1 cup of cream and 1 teaspoon of lemon juice through the coffee maker together. Season with salt and pepper, and allow the sauce to reduce over the hot plate for 15 to 20 minutes. Just before serving, add 1 tablespoon diced butter and swirl to melt. (Note: Coffee maker will require heavy cleaning afterward.)

6. Use a clean disposable razor to shave black truffle over the plated rice, scallops, and broccoli, then pour sauce over each plate. Garnish with thyme.

7. For dessert, heat 1/2 cup cream in the coffee maker. Add a 12-ounce bag of good bittersweet chocolate chips and stir constantly until melted and smooth. Serve with whole strawberries, sliced banana, pound cake, dried apricots, and marshmallows for dipping, instant fondue!

When I get more, I'll let you know.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Oh my! I thought I was very creative cooking on the road! Never used a coffee pot to cook a meal before or the iron to make bacon! I do travel with my crockpot! We invested in a power converter so we can plug it in while driving and finish it off in the hotel room. Or if we are in the same hotel for several days we just start it up on our way out the door for the day and come back to a good home cooked meal. I never needed to dirty up the coffee pot to make oatmeal. I just put the instant oatmeal in a coffee cup and then when the water is hot stir it in and it's ready to eat.

Thanks for all the ideas!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well if you drive on the road, then I highly suggest going to google and putting in the words, "How to cook with your car engine"

Cruise-Control Pork Tenderloin - Cooking distance: 250 miles
    I like this one because it's soft and tender, and is a great treat for the end of a long journey

Ingredients:
    1 large pork tenderloin, butterflied
    3 tbsp Dijon mustard
    2 tbsp dry white wine
    1/2 cup red onion, minced
    2 tsp rosemary (fresh), crushed
    Salt & pepper

Blend together all of the ingredients (except the pork) and spread across the inside of the pork tenderloin. Close up the pork, triple-wrap in foil and place on a medium-hot part of the engine. Turn once (125 miles) during cooking.

Any-city Chicken Wings (sweet) - Cooking distance: 140-200 miles
    Feel free to swap out ingredients according to how hot/spicy/tangy you like your wings.

Ingredients:
    18 chicken wings
    1/2 cup ketchup
    1 tbsp molasses (optional)
    1 cup red wine vinegar
    1-2 tsp red pepper flakes
    4-6 minced jalapenos
    3 cloves garlic
    1 tbsp honey (optional)
    1 tbsp oregano
    1 tsp brown sugar (optional)
    Pinch of salt
    Fresh black pepper (optional)
    Splash of Tabasco Chipotle sauce (optional)
    Splash of Worcestershire sauce (optional)

Blend together all of the ingredients (except wings) and pour over chicken wings. Cover tightly in the fridge for at least 24 hours. Drain wings (save the marinade) and divide into three foil packages. Brush with marinade, then triple-wrap each package tightly and place on medium-hot part of the engine. I like my chicken well done so I do the 200 miles, or around 3 1/2 hours.

Good & simple Cajun Shrimp/Crayfish - Cooking distance: 35 miles
    I love shrimp, and this is a quick journey. For most, it's an average morning's commute. What a way to start the day...Cajun Shrimp for breakfast.

Ingredients:
    1 pound large shrimp or crayfish tails, in shells.
    6 small green hot peppers
    2 cloves garlic
    1 medium onion, finely chopped
    Butter or spread
    Salt & pepper

Remove seeds from peppers (ouch, they are hot) and mince with the onion and garlic. Butter your foil, add the shrimp and cover with your spicy mixture. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper, then triple-wrap and place in a medium part of the engine. Delicious, seasoned, spicy shrimp or crayfish await.

Eggs On Cheese Pie - Cooking distance: 55 miles
    Another good breakfast food, or anytime food. Legend has it that the recipe (minus the cooking method) originated in medieval monasteries. A holy treat.

Ingredients:
    Breadcrumbs (Italian or fresh homemade)
    1/2 pound mozzarella cheese, cubed
    6 eggs (free range folks....be good)
    Diced Canadian bacon (optional)
    6 empty tuna-fish cans for cooking
    Pinch of cayenne and paprika (optional)
    Butter or spread.
    Salt & pepper.

Wash 6 empty tuna cans and butter the insides. Sprinkle a few tablespoons of breadcrumbs into each can and shake to cover the base evenly. Dump out excess. Now cover with mozzarella (and bacon if desired) then crack an egg on top of each, add seasonings and spices on top, then cover with mozzarella. Wrap cans tightly in foil, place on a hot part of the engine with good contact for the base of each can, and after 55 miles they should be good. If not, keep driving till the cheese has melted.

Pat's Provolone Porsche Potatoes - Cooking distance: 55 miles
    Good for vegetarians and a great side dish, this is simple, tasty car engine cooking.

Ingredients:
    1/2 pound new potatoes
    1 cup milk
    1 cup water
    2 ounces grated aged provolone (or my favorite, aged cheddar)
    Butter
    Salt & pepper

Peel and slice potatoes to 1.4 inch thick. Place in a saucepan with the milk and water and simmer 10 mins. Drain, then spread onto heavily buttered foil. Sprinkle with your cheese (or cheeses, experiment with flavors) and seasonings. Sprinkle with butter, triple-wrap and place around medium-hot parts of the engine. Delicious.

for tips and advice go to

How to Cook Food on Your Car's Engine: 9 steps - wikiHow

or

Cooking... with your car

Happy travels!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast