Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Craft-Teaching kids about the weather

When my boys were younger and on summer vacation,
    I was always trying to find crafts to keep them busy...
    They had a lot of fun with this one..I was also a Den Mother,
    What fun that was 8-12 boys in my kitchen...lolll
    Here are the instruction for making a rain gauge.

Rain Gauge

A rain gauge is a great tool for teaching kids about the weather. They are very simple to make.

All youíll need is

* A clear plastic bottle (any size will do, as long is its diameter is uniform)
    * Scissors
    * Ruler
    * Permanent markers

Instructions

1. Cut the top and neck off of the bottle, down to where the diameter is uniform.
    2. Using the ruler and the marker, mark off the height by the half inch.
    3. Decorate with markers if you like.
    4. Set the rain gauge out in the open, where the rain will not be blocked by trees or buildings. Make sure itís level.
    5. Place sand or bricks around your rain gauge, or set it inside the hole in a concrete block to keep it from being knocked or blown over.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Craft-Teaching kids about the weather

Here is another fun activity, to keep the kids busy.
    So simple and very inexpensive. Making windsocks is a fun and easy craft for kids. This one can bring out your childís creativity, gives you a nice decorative item to display on your porch or in your yard, and provide the opportunity to learn about the wind. I made one too, and had a lot fun with this craft....

Windsock

Youíll need these supplies

~ An empty round oatmeal container
    ~ Construction paper
    ~ Glue
    ~ Markers, paint and stickers (optional)
    ~ Crepe streamers
    ~ A hole punch
    ~ Twine or yarn

Instructions

1. Remove the top from the oatmeal container and cut out the bottom.
    2. Cut a piece of construction paper so that it will cover the container and glue it on.
    3. Decorate your windsock. Cut shapes out of construction paper and glue them on, add stickers, or use paint or markers to add pictures and designs.
    4. Cut lengths of the crepe streamers, and glue them to the bottom end of the windsock. Use alternating colors for a nice effect.
    5. Punch a hole near the top of the windsock, and another directly across from it on the other side. Then punch another hole halfway between each of them.
    6. Cut two 12-inch lengths of twine or yarn. Thread the end of one piece through one of the holes, and tie securely. Thread the other end through the hole directly across from that one, and tie it. Do the same thing with the other piece of string and the unused holes, so that the string creates handles that cross each other.
    7. Cut one more length of string, making it about twice as long as the others. Tie it to the center of the handles, and tie the other end wherever you want to hang your windsock.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Craft-Teaching kids about the weather

Hello!
    I really liked your ideas about teaching kids the weather! I'll use them with my little one when he's a little older (he's only 2!!)