Computers and Cheese Cloth

I recently had my laptop computer in the "shop" for over 6 weeks. They couldn't find out why it would turn on, start up, and then shut off. Eventually they found a large "dust bunny" blocking the cooling fan. This is why it was shutting down - it was protecting itself from getting overheated, since

build, bunny, cheese, clean, cloth, computer, computers, eve, fan, finally, hey, home, large, pieces, pro, repair, shop, star, tape, works, dust, cooling, openings, decided, sans, future, hope, build-up, prevent, blocked, check, connecting/start-up, vent, eventually, found, shut, weeks, turn, start, blocking, laptop, recently, overheated, heat, find, protecting, shutting

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Piggy Computers and Cheese Cloth

I recently had my laptop computer in the "shop" for over 6 weeks. They couldn't find out why it would turn on, start up, and then shut off. Eventually they found a large "dust bunny" blocking the cooling fan. This is why it was shutting down - it was protecting itself from getting overheated, since the cooling fan couldn't vent out the heat with the fan blocked by the "dust bunny".
    When I finally got it home (sans "dust bunny"), I decided to tape pieces of cheese cloth over all the openings on the computer not used in connecting/start-up. This will prevent most dust from getting in the works. I just check for build-up, and clean if from the cheese cloth.

One less future repair (I hope).

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Computers and Cheese Cloth

Oh my gosh! I have been having the very same problem with my laptop and thought for sure I would need a new battery. I asked a friend who is more competent at poking around a computer to check the cooling fan and, there it was-a dust bunny! Thank you so much. You saved me a bundle of money!