Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Slash Your Milk Bill!

Slash Your Milk Bill!

Save $$ with non-fat dry milk. Buy the dry milk at warehouse clubs like Sams or Costco (you don't save much, if anything, buying it at your supermarket). Mix 1 and 1/3 cups of milk powder with 4 cups water to make one quart of milk. Combine this with one quart of your regular milk. Chill it, and I guarantee no one in your family will know the difference. The powdered milk I buy averages $1.48 a gallon. I mix it half and half with milk that I buy at Sams for around $2.00 a gallon. That averages out to $1.74 a gallon! I also mix powdered milk with chocolate milk powder and keep it in a jar in the cupboard. When the kids want hot chocolate, they combine this mix with water and heat it in the microwave. I find it to be creamier than the boxed mixes. Also, whenever a recipe for baked goods calls for milk, I substitute 1/3 cup of powdered milk and 1 cup of water for each cup of milk in the recipe. It works the same as milk out of the carton and is much cheaper. (For convenience sake, I keep the powdered milk in a big Rubbermade container with a snap-on-lid and keep a 1/3 cup measuring cup inside for easy scooping).
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Slash Your Milk Bill!

I freeze milk all the time to use later in the month or to make yogurt with it. When we run out of fresh milk I use the frozen skim or 1% milk. After it's mostly thawed I mix in some powdered milk and the kids are clueless that it's not the regular whole milk they usually drink. I've gotten by with this for more than 12 years! I buy my dry milk from LDS Food Storage centers. Right now I'm paying $36.95 for 25 lb bags of Dry Milk.You can find the nearest one to you and what they have and current prices at Family Home Storage or I also buy it in bulk from Honeyville grains 25 lbs for $54.99. Shipping anywhere in the US is $4.95 no matter how much you buy. We all love their Milk substitute! Powdered Dried Whole Eggs - Freeze Dried Fruit - Blanched Almond Flour - Steel C - Canned Food Storage
    I buy 1% at my nearest military commissary and freeze them to use during the month. I get milk there much, much cheaper than I can locally at Walmart or Hyvee and there is no growth harmones in the milk. We hope to have our own milk cows next year but we'll always have lots of dry milk in our food storage for when we need it.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank-You for all the great info that you added. I'll have to check this out, I've never purchased dry milk in in 25 lb bags before.
    JoAnn

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

wow those are some great tips...ive noticed lately we have been goin threw milk ALOT i am going to try these tips!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Does that really work, mixing the powdered with 1% or 2%?

We usually buy only whole milk, and don't really mind 2% that bad.... but HATE the taste of powdered milk.

Also, the only store I can buy groceries is WalMart..does anyone know how expensive powdered milk is there?
    Sell your cleverness and purchase bewilderment.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Not sure what the price is at Walmart--And my family is really picky and they don't seem to mind this mix. I can't taste much of a difference either.
    JoAnn

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great ideas everyone. I have never tried to mix it with 2%. I used the powdered milk for cooking, but not drinking. We don't like the taste of powdered milk, but my family never notices the difference when I use it for cooking. It also makes pudding taste like home made

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by asimplegirl View Post
    Does that really work, mixing the powdered with 1% or 2%?

We usually buy only whole milk, and don't really mind 2% that bad.... but HATE the taste of powdered milk.

Also, the only store I can buy groceries is WalMart..does anyone know how expensive powdered milk is there?
    I buy my dry milk in bulk either online or at the LDS food storage area as listed above. Because I'm 90 miles from anything I once tried to buy groceries for 1 week at WalMart (17 miles away) and spent as much for one week as I usually did for a whole month! the really bad part was the meat wasn't fit to eat! Not even the dogs would eat it! I drive the 90 miles to use Sam's club and Ft Leavenworth Commissary once a month. I get great meats and dairy stuff much cheaper at the commissary. I really don't know how families survive if they have to shop locally! But yes you can mix powered milk up to half and half with regular milk and they won't know the difference. I've lived all over this country and around the world and I've rarely been more than 100 milks for an LDS Food Storage facility. they let nonmembers use their facilities and sell at cost (nonprofit). You can buy and take it out in bulk or you can stay and can it in #10 cans (about 80 cents a can) or mylar bags. I don't use mylar bags because I'm so far out in the country and mice can be a real problem and they chew right through mylar bags. Anyway, I don't know where you are but check around and see if you have resources in your area they you've not used yet. My Amish neighbors get all kinds of stuff for me in bulk but that's a resource most wouldn't have. but you never know until you go looking and start asking! Try to build up a food storage supply, at least 3 month's worth of dry food stables (things that will store well on your shelf) that allows you a lot of freedom when you go shopping. If the price goes really high on month you can pass it up and use what you already have until the price comes back down and then you restock your supply. If you have one of those month's when you really can't afford food at all then you can just grab your milk and live on what you already have. My goal is to have a full years supply of everything we need and I'm almost to that point. My monthly food budget for my family of 7 has gone from $500 a month to $200 a month. What I get now is mostly what I need to replenish my food supply. You can learn so much on this site to help you save and become much more self sufficient! Don't get discouraged, you'll pick things up and learn and grow as you go. and no one knows what resources you have and what you have to deal with in your area. Good luck to you and I hope you find other places to shop than just WalMart!

Cherlynn

11. The Following User Says Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast