Baking Bread Question ~ French Bread

I have never tried bread from scratch. I looked on the sites and found recipes for French Bread (no knead) using Quick Rise Yeast. For 2 loaves. Question 1 is can I cut the recipe in 1/2 for my first try at it, or do I need to make enough for 2 (some recipes you can not cut in half.

bake, black, company, cookbook, fre, hot, ice, information, issue, kitchen, learn, minutes, newsletter, parmesan, question, recipe, recipes, stay, type, woven, bread, french, quick, loaf, make, half, flour, purpose, wheat, sites, found, looked, scratch, knead, baking, rise, yeast, loaves

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Baking Bread Question ~ French Bread

I have never tried bread from scratch. I looked on the sites and found recipes for French Bread (no knead) using Quick Rise Yeast. For 2 loaves.

Question 1 is can I cut the recipe in 1/2 for my first try at it, or do I need to make enough for 2 (some recipes you can not cut in half.

Question 2 can I use Whole Wheat flour instead of All Purpose. in any recipe?

I am looking for a quick French loaf recipe (for 1 loaf, only 2 of us). Anyone have one ?
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Baking Bread Question ~ French Bread

I love king arthur flour company. I even purchased there flour cookbook. It has about any flour recipe you can think of. There recipes are always amazeing too! I would think you could cut the recipe though figureing out how much yeast could get tricky. I dont think you can just sub wheat flour it dosent rise the same from my experence. I tried wheat chocochip cookies and they tasted fabulas but were crisp and flat. This recipe has part wheat flour though and dont worry about useing king arthur flour I use aldi flour and it turns out fine.

Food Processor French-Style Bread
    When the weather is hot, no one wants to stay in the kitchen long. However, those of us who truly enjoy baking bread want our own creations all year long. We soon learn that we must work faster during the summer months, leaving the rest of the year for the more involved recipes with longer, slower rising times.

This French-style bread is made in the food processor for speed, but can be made by hand. It is shaped into baguettes, which bake much faster than regular loaves of bread. It is a basic loaf which lends itself to variations. You might try adding 3 tablespoons of chopped fresh herbs, or chopped sun-dried tomatoes and olives (either green or black or a combination of both for interesting color), or 1 cup of shredded Parmesan. Add any of these with the flour. You can substitute 2 cups of another type of flour for an equal amount of the unbleached flour -- whole wheat or rye are great. Use your imagination; if an idea sounds good, try it!

2 packages (2 scant tablespoons) active dry yeast
    1/2 cup lukewarm (110F to 115F) water
    1 teaspoon granulated sugar
    6 cups (approx.) King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
    2 teaspoons salt
    2 cups 90F water
    1 large egg beaten with 1 tablespoon cold water, for glaze

Note: Make sure your food processor will accommodate the amount of flour in the recipe. If it does not, cut the recipe in half.

Combine yeast, 1/2 cup warm water, and sugar in a measuring cup. Stir until dissolved, and let sit 5 minutes, until bubbles appear.

Put all of the flour and salt into the work bowl of a food processor. Using the plastic (dough) blade, pulse four times to lighten and mix.

With the machine running, add yeast mixture, then 90F water as fast as the flour will absorb it. Stop the machine as soon as all the liquid has been added.

Check the dough by pulsing it 7 or 8 times. It should pull together to form a ball. Watch the processor bowl where the side meets the bottom; if there are still granules of unincorporated flour, the dough is too dry. Pulse in water 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough pulls together to form a ball. If dough clings to sides of bowl, it's too wet; gradually add more flour while pulsing.

The formation of the ball marks the beginning of the kneading process. Turn machine on and let "knead" for 60 seconds -- do not let it knead any longer! If you have to use a metal blade, only "knead" 45 seconds and finish kneading by hand for 3 to 4 minutes.

Put dough into an oiled bowl, turning to grease top. Cover with a tightly woven towel and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.

Turn dough out, and divide in four pieces. Roll each piece into an oval about 15 x 8 inches. Starting on the long side, roll dough into a 15-inch cylinder. Pinch edges to body of dough, tapering ends evenly.

Place dough seam-side down into well-greased baguette pans. Cover dough with a towel, and let rise until almost doubled, about 45 minutes.

About 10 minutes before baking bread, preheat oven to 425F. Place a shallow pan on the bottom shelf of the oven.

Just before baking, slash loaves diagonally with a sharp blade, about 1/4-inch deep. Brush lightly with egg glaze. Place 1 cup of ice cubes in the hot pan on the bottom shelf of the oven. Quickly place loaves on shelf above and close door to preserve the steam you've created.

Bake for 20 minutes, or until internal temperature of bread reaches 190F. Immediately remove baguettes from pans and cool on a rack to prevent crust from becoming soggy. Yield: 4 baguettes.

Nutrition information per serving (2-inch slice, 24 g): 43 cal, 0 g fat, 2 g protein, 9 g complex carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 5 mg cholesterol, 73 mg sodium, 20 mg potassium, 1 mg iron, 22 mg calcium, 15 mg phosphorus.

This recipe reprinted from The Baking Sheet Newsletter, Vol. III, No. 6, July-August 1992 issue.
    —“Recipe courtesy of King Arthur Flour.”

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

1 large loaf

Ingredients
    1 1/2 cups water
    2 1/2 tablespoons margarine
    2 tablespoons molasses (or honey)
    2 cups whole wheat flour
    2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 1/2 teaspoons yeast
    Directions
    Put the ingredients into the bread machine pan in the order listed (and as accurately as possible). Select the whole wheat bread cycle (usually takes 3 1/2 hours). Remove from the pan when it's done and let cool for 15 minutes before slicing.
    Source: recipezaar

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I wanted to add. Make lots of extra!!! Dont worry french bread can be used for lots of things. you will use it. cut thin slices and bake in the oven with cheese. or top with tomato basil and garlic and then drisil with olive oil. lots of recipes out there for french bread. after all is siad and don any leftover bread makes a wonderfull bread pudding.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another good use for french bread --My DH loves to make French Toast in the morning with this bread.. Oh the taste is soo good...
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Whole Wheat French Bread

This recipe will make one large, round loaf.

2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
    3 cups All Purpose White Flour
    1 Egg
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    2 teaspoon Salt
    1 Tablespoon Dry Active Yeast

Sift the two flours together into a large bowl. Mix in salt and sugar by hand. Move the ingredients to the sides of the bowl, creating a large "well" (an empty space) in the middle. Pour the yeast into the "well" and pour 2 cups of lukewarm water over the yeast. Sprinkle about 1 Tablespoon of flour over top. Wait (about 10 minutes) for bubbles to appear in the yeast. Once the bubbles have appeared, you can start to mix together the ingredients to form the dough. Gradually incorporate the flour. Putting in a little at a time until you have a round, firm ball of dough. If it's sticky, add a little more flour. Remove the dough from the bowl and place it on a lightly floured surface. Knead it by pushing your palms into and then turning it one quarter. Keep kneading and doing quarter turns for about 5-10 minutes, or until the bread is supple and non-sticky.
    Place the bread in a lightly floured bowl and cover with a damp dish cloth. Let it rise for about 2 hours or until double in size. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Sprinkle your work area with flour. Lightly oil and flour a baking pan. Remove bread and place on your floured surface. Punch it down once, hard, with your palms and re-shape it into a ball. Put the ball on the baking pan. Using a sharp knife, cut diagonal lines across the top of the bread. Whisk the egg, and using a brush (or a teaspoon) coat the top of the bread. Put in oven and bake for 30 minutes or until it is as brown as you like.

If you are used to eating whole wheat bread you can use whole wheat in most recipes, if not--you can start out by using 1/3 whole wheat flour to 2/3 of the all purpose flour called for in the recipe and work your way up to all whole wheat. They make white whole wheat flour you can use anyplace you use all purpose flour. If it is the color you are looking at. White Whole Wheat Flour is made from White Wheat instead of Red Wheat. The texture and the taste of the bread is different when you use whole wheat as opposed to the all purpose flour.

Hope this helps! Thanks; Virginia