African Nsima

here's another recipe that you can serve with anything and spice it up as you please...from my friend's mother;-) African Nsima:054: 1-1/2 cups water 1/2 cup cold water 1-1/4 cups cornmeal Boil water in a saucepan. In a bowl, make a paste using part of the cornmeal and all of the cold

bowl, cheese, chilies, cold, cook, cover, cups, fish, friend, hat, healthy, hot, meal, minutes, mix, recipe, set, spice, stir, water, cornmeal, saucepan, paste, heat, lowest, african, mixture, calories, consistency, servings, serving, excellent, shredded, nsima, mush, desired, porridge, toss, jalapenos, corn, continue, part, spoon, friends, boil, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, nsima054, make, mother-

Thread: African Nsima

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up African Nsima

here's another recipe that you can serve with anything and spice it up as you please...from my friend's mother
    African Nsima
    1-1/2 cups water
    1/2 cup cold water
    1-1/4 cups cornmeal

Boil water in a saucepan. In a bowl, make a paste using part of the cornmeal and all of the cold water. Add the paste to the hot water. Stir with a spoon until mixture has a thick, porridge-like texture. Cover the saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes. Turn heat to lowest setting, remove the lid, and gradually add rest of cornmeal, stirring constantly. Continue until mixture thickens to desired consistency. Cover and cook on lowest heat for about 5 minutes. Stir before serving. 2 servings = about 365 calories.
    this is actually quite healthy and most of us know it as corn meal mush or porridge. toss in a few chilies or jalapenos or shredded cheese...yum! it really is excellent with fish -- which is how I had it.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: African Nsima

I have heard of doing this with corn meal, but I have never made it myself. This is diffently something to think about doing. With the cost of food these days, it's something to keep in mind when I'm pinched on groceries.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: African Nsima

absolutely! that's why I thought to post it...cornmeal is pretty cheap...and making it this way can be a nice alternative to a side. it's just as versatile as potatoes, rice, etc., when you add things to it experiment and find out what your family likes. my father used to like it as breakfast (corn meal mush) with maple syrup or honey...he grew up on it during the depression.