Spaghetti with Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozarella

Spaghetti with Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozarella 2 small eggplants salt, to taste 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing eggplants 6 garlic cloves, very finely chopped 28 oz can plum tomatoes, chopped large pinch of basil (more if you're fond of basil) 6 oz mozzarella, diced

alterna, box, cup, drain, extra, garlic, grill, hat, ideas, minutes, olive oil, package, pinch, sheets, skillet, small, spaghetti, stir, tomatoes, water, eggplant, slices, taste, salt, mozzarella, basil, eggplants, diced, pepper, sides, cook, heat, toss, preheat, tomato, chopped, olive, mozarella, large, gently, turn, cover, excess, seasoning, simmer, evaporates, check, medium-low, warm, softened

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Spaghetti with Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozarella

2 small eggplants
    salt, to taste
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing eggplants
    6 garlic cloves, very finely chopped
    28 oz can plum tomatoes, chopped
    large pinch of basil (more if you're fond of basil)
    6 oz mozzarella, diced
    pepper, to taste
    1 lb box spaghetti
    Cut the stems and navels off the eggplants and cut them across into 1/4-in slices. Sprinkle the slices with salt and stand them upright in a colander to drain off the bitter juices, about 40 minutes. Blot the salt and sweat from the slices with paper towels. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees if roasting the eggplant. Brush both sides of the eggplant slices with oil. Place them on baking sheets, well spaced, and roast for 30-35 minutes. Alternatively, preheat the broiler, or prepare a charcoal grill and cook until lightly colored on both sides. When cooled, dice and set aside. Meanwhile, warm the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and saute until just softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil, and 1/2 tsp of salt, or to taste, and stir well. Simmer gently until the excess water evaporates, about 15 minutes. Add the diced eggplant, mozzarella, and pepper to taste and toss well. Check the seasoning. Turn off the heat and cover the pan for several minutes, until the mozzarella is soft and almost melted. Cook spaghetti according to package directions. Drain well, toss with the sauce, and serve. 4 servings = about 825 calories.
    did I ever tell ya'll that I LOVE eggplant?! always trying to come up with new ideas for it

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Spaghetti with Eggplant, Tomato, and Mozarella

Oh man! I LOVE eggplant too!!! Thanks for the recipe!!! My mouth is watering! I may have to go buy some eggplant tomorrow!

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was looking for a reason to plant eggplant this summer. I think I just found one. Sounds YUMMY
    "real generosity is doing something nice for someone who will never find out"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ooh! if you have a garden, I'll bet that you have tomatoes...fresh tomatoes with this recipe is even BETTER!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh my goodness, This is more reason for me to want to start cooking

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

good! get busy gal! LOL!