Marigolds in Vegetable Gardens- Gardening & Landscaping

Years ago an elderly couple told me to plant marigolds around my vegetable garden. They supposedly kept bugs and tiny critters out of the garden. Marigold foliage is bitter so small animals don't like it. I planted a row all the way around my garden and had no problem with bugs on my veggies or

bunches, cool, father, flowers, garden, gardening, gardens, hat, ice, idea, marigolds, mom, plan, planted, pre, pretty, reasons, remember, ted, vegetable, bugs, animal, rabbits, munching, problem, dill, veggies, chemicals, spray, worked, works, worth, told, marigold, foliage, critters, tiny, supposedly, plant, couple, bitter, years, elderly, small, animals

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Marigolds in Vegetable Gardens

Years ago an elderly couple told me to plant marigolds around my vegetable garden. They supposedly kept bugs and tiny critters out of the garden. Marigold foliage is bitter so small animals don't like it. I planted a row all the way around my garden and had no problem with bugs on my veggies or little animal like rabbits munching on them. A row of dill also works. It is worth a try so you don't have to use chemicals like bug spray. It worked for my garden.

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Janice Terrell For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Marigolds in Vegetable Gardens

very good tip. i grow in containers(5 gallon buckets) and companion gardening is very good.

i use to put with my tomato plants marigolds,parsley and other herbs. marigolds attract the right kind of bugs and keep the ones away that are not good for tomatoes

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is great that it worked for you, however, when we tried it it didn't work for us. We had rabbits sleeping in our Marigolds. That is where they put their nests--didn't stop them from eating the garden veggies, that was their midnight snack. I guess it depends on the rabbits. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry it didn't work for you.

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's worth a shot. Something kept eating my beans last year!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I remember when my Father did gardening he always planted marigolds in the garden for the same reasons (he would plant several bunches of marigolds Thur out his garden) he believed strongly in this. Had a pretty garden too.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

We try all kinds of things but have yet to find anything that works for us. Even fences don't seem to keep the rabbits out around here. Thanks; Virginia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I always plant marigolds in my veggie garden. I have only had one problem with a bunny nibbling on a head of cabbage...I just left the cabbage there for it to nibble and it didn't bother anything else Happy bunny and happy gardener

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

That is very cool! Thanks!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Virginia View Post
    That is great that it worked for you, however, when we tried it it didn't work for us. We had rabbits sleeping in our Marigolds. That is where they put their nests--didn't stop them from eating the garden veggies, that was their midnight snack. I guess it depends on the rabbits. Thanks; Virginia
    if that didnt work for you, there are plenty that are poisonous to rabbits, they wont eat them because they know they cant..lol

Poisonous Plants for Rabbits

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love marigolds, my mom used to grow them all the time in the garden. I like Jaimes idea, if the rabbits get into the garden let them finish what they are eating, and everyone is happy. Thanks for posting this Janice, I have forgotten about the marigolds. We have raised beds, but it would look nice with the flowers in it too.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love Marigolds too and I do plant them just not for the purpose of animal control as (as I said) that never works for us. I grow a lot of herbs and flowers but again not as a means of animal control. If letting the rabbit in the garden to eat a cabbage works for you I would say go for it--but I have never seen them stop at just one plant. I have seen a lot of lists of supposedly poisonous plants to rabbits and other critters but have seen with my own eyes rabbits, deers, etc. eat some of those so called Poisonous plants that are listed with no visible affects to them. Just as some plants are listed as poisonous to humans and are used in medicines and some parts of plants are poisonous but some parts are used as food.

Garden Tips are all trial and error; where some work for some people under some conditions they do not work for others.

Here is a recipe for a homemade Insecticide.
    Red Pepper Spray Concentrate:

1 unpeeled onion
    1 unpeeled head of garlic
    1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
    3 pints water

Chop onion and garlic then combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer 20 minutes.

Cool and store in jars in the refrigerator for 6 weeks then strain and store concentrate in a cool dark place. (Be sure to label the jar!)

To use, dilute 1 tablespoon of concentrate with 1 pint of water. Add a little Ivory soap or (Dawn--original formula works good) dish washing liquid. Shake and spray on plant.

NOTE: For your own safety, wear gloves when handling peppers and pepper spray.

Here is one for bugs only:
    When you trim potently scented herbs, such as lavender, rosemary, tansy, wormwood, rue, mint, basil or sage, drop small pieces in a gallon bucket of water and let the mixture sit for a week. Strain the brew and store it in a cool, dark area. Add 2 Tablespoons of liquid soap to the brew, and decant into a spray bottle to kill off aphids, beetles, and other pests.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia
    Last edited by Virginia; 04-26-2009 at 02:44 PM.

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Here is a spray using Marigolds

Marigold Spray

To make: Mash 1 cup of marigold leaves and flowers. Mix with 1 pint
    of water. Let soak for 24 hours. Strain through cheesecloth. Dilute
    further with 1 1/2 quarts of water then add 1/4 teaspoon of Castille
    soap. Spray target areas.

Target insects: Repels asparagus beetles, tomato hornworms, leaf
    cutting and chewing insects, like leaf cutting bees on your roses and