Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Ways to save on printer cartridges

Tired of shelling out for printer cartridges? Employ these simple tricks and your ink cartridge will last longer:

Ignore Out of Ink Warnings
    Getting a warning that your printer is out of ink? Go ahead and ignore it. In a lab test, PC World found that ink cartridges still contained anywhere from 8-45% of their ink when this message started to pop up.

Avoid Chunky Fonts and Bolds
    Thick fonts and bolded text require extra ink to print, so skinny up your text and save. Some ink-sipping fonts to try: Arial and new courier

Want to save even more? Download Ecofont, a free font that uses 20% less ink by placing small white circles within each character.

Use a Smaller Font Size
    What's the difference between a 12-point font and a 14-point font? Size, certainly, but also the amount of ink used so super-size only when you need to.

Proof Before You Print
    Give your documents an extra read through before you print them out, and you may save yourself a reprint.

Tweak Your Printer Settings
    Printers are factory set to be ink guzzlers, but that's easy enough to change. To update your printer's default settings on a Windows-based computer, click start > printers > right click on your printer and select printer preferences.

Some changes worth considering:

Set the print quality to "draft"
    Set the color to "print in grayscale"
    Set the "document options" to print multiple pages per sheet

Print Just What You Need
    Need to print an article or recipe off of a website, but not interested in printing all of the ads and photos that go with it? Just go to printwhatyoulike.com; insert the URL for the page; and you can delete all those ink-hogging extras with just a few clicks.

Use Print Preview
    Ever printed something from the web only to find that it didn't fit the page? What a waste of ink, paper and time! Fortunately, this is one problem that can be avoided: just hit "print preview" before you send anything to print, and you'll be able to catch and correct any issues before they make it onto paper.

Check for Clogs
    Has your cartridge stopped printing properly? Before you toss it, make sure a clogged nozzle isn't the culprit. To do so, simply remove the cartridge from the printer, and wipe the bottom with a damp paper towel. Then, reinstall it and try printing again.

Hit Save Instead of Print
    Would a digital record work just as well as a printed one? If so, save the file to your hard drive or flash drive, and forgo the printing process entirely.

article source:about.com
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Ways to save on printer cartridges

Mdowdy,
    What a great list of
    Ways to save on printer cartridges
    . I knew a few of these helpful tips--but you have really gave me some useful tips to use and try here. Two thumbs up to you. Thanks again Lady.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks. Lots of useful info!!!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are very welcome, I thought these were good pointers when I read them. My printer cartridges cost more than what I paid for my printer LOL
    Mdowdy

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My printer cartridges cost more than what I paid for my printer LOL
    This really sucks too.. One thing I can't understand. If you look in the stores now you can pick up a brand new printer, cheaper then buying a couple of ink cartridges ink.
    Haven't found any deals (coupons) for this product either. Has anyone else found Coupons for Printer Ink ?
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mdowdy View Post
    Tired of shelling out for printer cartridges? Employ these simple tricks and your ink cartridge will last longer:

Ignore Out of Ink Warnings
    Getting a warning that your printer is out of ink? Go ahead and ignore it. In a lab test, PC World found that ink cartridges still contained anywhere from 8-45% of their ink when this message started to pop up.

Avoid Chunky Fonts and Bolds
    Thick fonts and bolded text require extra ink to print, so skinny up your text and save. Some ink-sipping fonts to try: Arial and new courier

Want to save even more? Download Ecofont, a free font that uses 20% less ink by placing small white circles within each character.

Use a Smaller Font Size
    What's the difference between a 12-point font and a 14-point font? Size, certainly, but also the amount of ink used so super-size only when you need to.

Proof Before You Print
    Give your documents an extra read through before you print them out, and you may save yourself a reprint.

Tweak Your Printer Settings
    Printers are factory set to be ink guzzlers, but that's easy enough to change. To update your printer's default settings on a Windows-based computer, click start > printers > right click on your printer and select printer preferences.

Some changes worth considering:

Set the print quality to "draft"
    Set the color to "print in grayscale"
    Set the "document options" to print multiple pages per sheet

Print Just What You Need
    Need to print an article or recipe off of a website, but not interested in printing all of the ads and photos that go with it? Just go to printwhatyoulike.com; insert the URL for the page; and you can delete all those ink-hogging extras with just a few clicks.

Use Print Preview
    Ever printed something from the web only to find that it didn't fit the page? What a waste of ink, paper and time! Fortunately, this is one problem that can be avoided: just hit "print preview" before you send anything to print, and you'll be able to catch and correct any issues before they make it onto paper.

Check for Clogs
    Has your cartridge stopped printing properly? Before you toss it, make sure a clogged nozzle isn't the culprit. To do so, simply remove the cartridge from the printer, and wipe the bottom with a damp paper towel. Then, reinstall it and try printing again.

Hit Save Instead of Print
    Would a digital record work just as well as a printed one? If so, save the file to your hard drive or flash drive, and forgo the printing process entirely.

article source:about.com
    Great tips, I new about the ignoring the printer is out of ink message, but yr other tips are very good. Thanks a lot!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another thing that saves if you have an ink jet is to only turn your printer on when you need to use it. Ink jets work by heating the ink which is a liquid. If you apply constant heat to the ink when it's not in use, the ink will evaporate and you will get to use less of it. I started doing this several years ago - only turning my printer on when I want to print - and it does make a difference. I bet my cartridges last twice as long now!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn View Post
    This really sucks too.. One thing I can't understand. If you look in the stores now you can pick up a brand new printer, cheaper then buying a couple of ink cartridges ink.
    Haven't found any deals (coupons) for this product either. Has anyone else found Coupons for Printer Ink ?
    check ebay much cheaper than the store
    Mdowdy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast