Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Make-Ahead French Toast

Make-Ahead French Toast
    1 Loaf of Bread
    8 eggs (I use Egg Substitute instead of real eggs)
    1 cup Milk
    1/2 cup sugar (optional)
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
    Preheat oven to 500 degrees
    In medium bowl, beat together all ingredients until well blended. Pour half of the egg mixture in to a square baking pan.
    Place 4 of the bread slices in the egg mixture. Turn slices and then remove to a prepared baking sheet (I use a cookie sheet with a silicone no-stick sheet lightly sprayed with cooking spray).
    Repeat with remaining egg mixture and bread slices.
    Bake for 6 minutes. Turn slices. Continue baking until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes. Serve immediately or freeze for later use.
    Makes 16 servings.
    To Freeze: Cool toast slices on wire rack. Return to baking sheets.
    Freeze in single layer 1 to 2 hours. Wrap individual serving portions or stack slices and wrap. (I wrap two slices together in plastic wrap for individual servings. Then I place them back in to the bread bake for convenient storage in my freezer). Return to freezer and store up to one month.
    To serve Frozen Toast: Reheat single servings in toaster or place unwrapped slices on un-greased baking sheets and bake in preheated 375 degree oven until hot about 8-10 minutes.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Make-Ahead French Toast

Such a good idea! I have never tried making french ahead of time before.

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks! It's easy and saves time in the morning;-D

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sounds wonderful. French toast stix are one of the splurges I do for the grandkids when they stay the night. A couple of questions though. Would these be to bland if you left out the cinnamon and nutmeg? My 5 year old grandson won't eat cinnamon. And if I left out the cinnamon and nutmeg should I leave out the vanilla also?

Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Leaving out the cinnamon and nutmeg will change the flavor, but if you leave out the vanilla...it will be a bland breakfast. If your grandkids can handle the vanilla, leave it in. If they can't handle such a mild flavoring, I suggest adding berrries -- slice of toast, a few berries (thinly sliced strawberries would be exceptional), then another layer of toast. Cut up as stacked for your wee ones and they will probably be quite pleased;-D A bite of French toast sandwiching a bit of berry...giggle...