What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Anyone want to help me with college essay on living Frugal?

Hi I hope I didn't mislead you . I don't want you to think I want you to write my paper. I am writing an essay, where i picked the topic about a Problem and Solution. So I quickly knew I would like to write about
    OVERSPENDING as the PROBLEM and the Solution LIVING FRUGAL. Which I do practice. And that is why I am a member of this group!
    However, I need to be able to follow up with this idea ..into a second essay in the form of a Argument of WHY I can PROVE (Living Frugal is better).
    Such as......
    And list reasons why.

This is where I thought you lovely members would like to add your input? And be able to tell me (for example but NOT LIMITED TO!)

why you live frugal ,
    Why you feel it is better to live this way.
    How you do it ,
    The Pros and Cons of the lifestyle
    How it effects you as a family in general.
    How society has set standards.

I think you see where I am going with this I have my own opinions but I cant write this entire paper on my own opinions, so I asked if I could get outside peoples opinions.

If you do decide to give me this information as a source to help me I will have to add you in my paper and so I will need your first and last name , and the city your from. I am sorry but if I don't have that, I could have made you up.

Thanks again!!
    Pam

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lamnpam5 For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone want to help me with college essay on living Frugal?

Pam,
    Here are a few of my thoughts on living frugal.
    I grew up living frugal, and didn't even realize it. And then, I instilled these values into my own family as well. Do they feel deprived -- no. The key to living frugal is not wasting, an old saying -- waste not want not..

Many people think frugality is being cheap or a tight wad, or being overly concerned with how much things cost. While watching the prices of things can be a aspect of frugal living, focusing solely on it certainly is not what frugality is all about.

Frugality is about doing more with less, appreciating the things around you, and living a simpler life and enjoying life at the same time. It's about saving the world, reducing your environmental impact, and being able to help others and the future generations. Frugal living isn't about living without, it's about living better with what is available to you.

I certainly hope that you do well on your college essay on living Frugal. If you want any details on my above thoughts you can PM me.

JoAnn in N.Ohio
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Pam!
    Unlike Jo Ann, I grew up dirt poor BUT never had guidance on being frugal. Once I had a job I spent like there was no tomorrow. When I got married my husband was the same way! We've always had great jobs but always poor. We finally after 25 years realized retirement was coming up and we were head over hills in debt and would never be able to retire unless we brought our current lifestyle to a halt. It took about 5 years and it was very painful but we managed to pay off all our debts ($187,000 not including the house!) We have learned to live without and if we really, really wanted it than we have to pay cash. We've never had to learn to wait for stuff or do without until now. It's been hard but we've learned our lessons the hard way and hopefully our kids will do it better! Because of our lifestyle we will take house payments into retirement and will have to live frugally for the rest of our life's to make these payments. We are now growing all our own food except dairy stuff. We'll get cows next year and make our own cheese, yogurt and butter, ect. Growing our own food for 7 of us saves us $500 each month. If we had been frugal we probably would of been millionaires but we choose to spend as we liked and make payments like a fool. Wish we had been wiser much faster but at least we learned soon enough so we can retire next year on time. Dave Ramsey does a neat calculation on people buying a new car on credit. You buy a $12,000 and make payments for 5 years. Add up all the interest for the term of the loan and you probably spent over $50,000 for the thing! I just bought a 2008 focus and put half the money down on it and then had 0 interest for 6 month's and made a payment each month and at the end of the 6 month's it was paid off no interest! I like my new car much better knowing I paid for the car only and didn't line someones pocket paying interest like a fool!

Wished I had always lived frugal and put money in my bank account instead of someone else's all these years!

Cherlynn
    Living life by the school of hard knocks!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks Cherlynn and JoAnn, both your stories are so different; but so, fascinating and gave me great facts! I love this topic I am doing!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: Anyone want to help me with college essay on living Frugal?

Cherlynn, Not sure if I understand this
    Unlike Jo Ann, I grew up dirt poor BUT never had guidance on being frugal.
    When I was growing up there was 9 of us in the family. Being frugal was a way of life. My father always had a roof over our heads (3 bedrooms a farm house), clothes on his childern backs (many hand me downs, from the neighbors, I got) I'm a middle child and the oldest girl. My father a laborer by trade had his bills paid with cash. Mom didn't work outside the home. We canned everything (used old mayo jars with mason lids and caps) that was in season (cherries, berries,peaches,pears,corn,beets could go on and on), and out of your garden. We live on 1 acre of land. Raised chickens had fresh eggs (sold eggs by the road side) most of this money went for milk & yup fresh chicken dinners many Sundays. Had a huge potato bin--which we filled from the local farmers that had cleared their fields and all the local families went in afterward and hand picked the fields the final time before they plowed everything under.
    Frugality is about doing more with less, appreciating the things around you, and living a simpler life and enjoying life at the same time
    I had my first job picking beans--at the age of 12, did that for two years. Then at 14 I worked in a greenhouse, and did that job till I was 18. And still working to this day. We all live and learn..
    Living life by the school of hard knocks!
    But I certainly believe I'm enjoying life more now then ever. I had my money problems thur the years and still have the ugly credit card bills ( 2 will be paid off by the end of this year ) oh yes --but not as deep as some..Frugal living isn't about living without, it's about living better with what is available to you.
    Pam, I hope this helps you with your paper even more (hope you share your grade).
    Hugs to Everyone !!
    Learning is happening everyday...
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

When I was growing up my Dad had co-signed a couple of notes for his little brother. My uncle never once paid on his loans so my Dad was paying for our house and all our bills and his brothers house and his brothers semi truck. We had 4 acres but Mom never tried to grow a garden. She was home full time. We had rice for breakfast every morning except Sunday's. We had beans for dinner every day except Friday's. If any money came in to the house we spent it for junk. Candy, records, ect. At the age of 11, I started working for a department store and had a blast getting the money in and spending it for anything I wanted. No one ever told me to save money for anything. I unfortunately wasn't bright enough to think about it on my own! Any extra money my Mom got she also went on spending sprees. But also if my Mom wanted stuff she just went out and got it and my Dad would have to take on extra work to cover it. I don't know that my Dad was to much better as when he finally paid off my Uncles debts (they sold the house) he promptly went out and presented me with a 3 yr old car. I had just gotten my license at age 15 and he wanted to surprise me. I just didn't learn much from my parents. I'm grateful we finally wised up and learned even if it was the hard way. No, living frugally isn't doing without, if we had lived frugally our whole married lives we would of been sitting here with a wonderful bank account and could of gotten anything we wanted by paying cash. But being frugal also means you have enough sense to know what you really need and you think long and hard about the things you want so when you get the wants you really do want them and don't waste money on things you don't need and didn't really want. Being out of debt has been very liberating. I just wish we had done it much earlier in our lives and really hope our kids got the message so they don't screw up their life like we did.
    Last edited by brchbell; 04-09-2009 at 11:00 PM.