Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Leaving computers on overnight = $2.8 billion a year

Leaving computers on overnight = $2.8 billion a year

Admittedly I don't think much about it at all. I leave my laptop running overnight because I know it'll take five minutes or more to get things going in the morning -- not just booting up, but launching the various apps I start the day with, downloading my overnight email, filtering out the spam, and otherwise "getting settled."

But all the power wasted while computers are sitting idle overnight adds up, and one study has finally tried to measure it. The tally: An estimated $2.8 billion wasted on excess energy costs each year in the U.S. alone.

On a CO2 basis, that's 20 million tons of carbon dioxide, about the amount produced by 4 million cars on the road.

The full report is available for download here (scroll down to "PC Energy Report US 2009").

But big numbers like that become almost meaningless in an era of trillion-dollar bailouts, so to put the wasted energy in perspective, the study provides the data in terms you can better understand: If you run a company with 1,000 PCs left on overnight, you can save about ,000 a year if they are turned off after hours. That's not chump change.

Of course, it's also a fact that your PC will function better if you restart it regularly, and nightly shutdowns can help you avoid having to suddenly reboot in the middle of the day when you'd otherwise be productive. So even though this little laptop, by my math, eats up only about a quarter's worth of power overnight, maybe it's a smart idea -- and ultimately a time-saver, too -- to shut it down after hours after all.

Source:Yahoo
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Leaving computers on overnight = $2.8 billion a year

I always have a break mid morning where I'll be away from my computer for at least and hour. when I leave my computer for this break I have my Anti virus update. In the evening when I think I won't be returning to my computer I start my anti virus scanning my computer and I tell it to turn off the computer when it's done if everything is OK. I've been doing this for over 2 years and so far I've only came in one morning and found my computer still on. Because it was caught early I was able to fix the problem within minutes. I have my whole family doing the same thing now.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I usually leave mine on also although it is in sleep mode. I can account for the restarting thing though. I do have to restart omine on occasion because it slows down a great deal. Usually I do this on my own once a day. I remove all the spy wear and restart. Its just a system of mine. After reading this though I may cut it off everynight.
    Mdowdy

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

As long as you either put it in sleep or hiberrnation mode you don't use much electric at all. Trust me I know I never turn my computer off and my highest electric bill I have ever had was 40 bucks and that was in the summer when I had my A/C on. I do however run Linux not Windows, but I doubt that makes much of a difference.

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use to leave mine on all the time (sleep after 1 hour), but have started the last few weeks to shut it down before going to bed. It does start acting CRAZY after awhile. I am going to check our electric bill next month or 2 to see if it makes any differance.

All of our other electric uses should stay the same. It is kinda like lightbulds. I have heard that it actually uses more electricity to keep turning your lights on/off rather than just leaving them on. I have heard both, but really do not know which is correct.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok i guess i have to start talking to those teens that keep the computer on 24/7

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I always thought it was silly to shut it down since I thought it had sleep-mode but my bf insists on shutting it down whenever we leave the apartment. This started after the neighbor's apartment caught on fire because of the labtop!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is not good to keep a laptop on all night due to the fact that it could overheat and then you do have a problem. Also if you have a constant connection to the internet you are always in the red when it comes to getting a virus.
    “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.”

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast