Lettuce in Flowerpots

Lettuce in Flowerpots

Since Brchbell was talking about this in another thread, I wanted to bring it here since I was asking her a bunch of questions. So..... When you started this, did you use a terra cotta pot with a hole, or some other pot type? Do you only place one seed in the pot, or more? Do you use a

advance, arts, bring, brown, eve, hole, mix, place, pot, questions, seed, special, star, started, starts, talking, terra, type, wanted, water, soil/fertilizer, soil, kill, smile, growing, non-gardener, thumb, apologize, flowerpots, bunch, thread, lettuce, brchbell, cotta

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Domestic Goddess
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Lettuce in Flowerpots

Since Brchbell was talking about this in another thread, I wanted to bring it here since I was asking her a bunch of questions. So.....

When you started this, did you use a terra cotta pot with a hole, or some other pot type? Do you only place one seed in the pot, or more? Do you use a special soil, or just a soil/fertilizer mix? How often would you water it? I do apologize in advance, but as a "non-gardener" with a brown thumb, I don't want to kill it before it even starts growing!

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to justicemsb For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Lettuce in Flowerpots

Quote Originally Posted by justicemsb View Post
    Since Brchbell was talking about this in another thread, I wanted to bring it here since I was asking her a bunch of questions. So.....

When you started this, did you use a terra cotta pot with a hole, or some other pot type? Do you only place one seed in the pot, or more? Do you use a special soil, or just a soil/fertilizer mix? How often would you water it? I do apologize in advance, but as a "non-gardener" with a brown thumb, I don't want to kill it before it even starts growing!
    Hi! Sorry I missed this! This week has been totally crazy! Up and out the door by 5am and not getting home until after midnight! Thursday was our only day at home and it was snowing big huge flakes and we just decked out and enjoyed it and only did what we had to do.

When I've done this while living in apartments I bought Terra Cotta pots and a bag of grow mix. I plant a couple seeds in each one and then pull one later on so I just have one in each pot. You should put them under a shop light for about a month until they get a pretty good size like you would use to set out in a garden and then you are ok to just set them in a sunny window. If you are where it gets really hot you might need to set them back just out of the window during the hot part of the day so they don't get to hot. Once they get good size they are fairly easy to take care of. Just put your finger down in the soil mix and when it's dry for the first inch or so water it. I use to water them once a week and would fill the sink up and set them in it so the pot would also soak up water and then I'd put them back into their dishes in the window.

I found it takes about 2 months to get these really going good. I start new ones going after about 5 or 6 months so when the older plants get tired and worn out I have replacements. You can redo the garden mix by adding a cup of good compost into each pot. Get a good mix of leaf lettuces to grow so you can have a good variety.

Hope this helps you get started!

Cherlynn

Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm planning on planting Veggies in my pots on my deck this year instead of flowers I have a garden out back but I thought this might look more interesting and of course there's the added bonus of being able to eat it. I heard eggplant make a great potted plant as well as peppers and of course tomato.

Domestic Goddess
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thank you!!! I can't wait to try this. Now, you said use a shop light. Is that a flourescent(sp) light, or one of those really strong bright lights my DH uses to work on the car at night. LOL (sorry, it's the only way I can describe it)

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by justicemsb View Post
    Thank you!!! I can't wait to try this. Now, you said use a shop light. Is that a flourescent(sp) light, or one of those really strong bright lights my DH uses to work on the car at night. LOL (sorry, it's the only way I can describe it)
    Just a plain cheap florescent light. Nothing fancy or to bright! No plant grow lights, ect. as they get to hot and dry the plants out real quick.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Very cool! Thanks! I would love to grow some lettuce, tomatoes, etc in flower pots in the apartment, but I just have to have "Step-by-step" instructions. I'm just not very good with knowing how to handle plants. I tend to kill them.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rtebalt View Post
    Very cool! Thanks! I would love to grow some lettuce, tomatoes, etc in flower pots in the apartment, but I just have to have "Step-by-step" instructions. I'm just not very good with knowing how to handle plants. I tend to kill them.
    Well I confess there are a lot of variables like what kind of pot and size you use. What kind of soil mix you use, ect. You can start a seed right in the pot or you can start it and then transplant it over. I usually use at least a 10" or larger clay pot. that will support one head of lettuce or 4 to 6 carrots. You have to picture the full size carrot and space those tiny seeds accordingly. Baby carrots or short carrots work best. Tomatoes take a bigger container like a bucket or larger and you need to mix in extra composted manure in with it. tomatoes are heavy feeders! It is easier if you go buy a plant and start from that on tomatoes. also I forgot to tell you your bucket should have a drain holes in the bottom and a little gravel or something. It would be nice if you have a little patio or balcony to set the tomatoes out. I've never tried to grow them inside! When I lived in Japan and only had window sills to use I only did lettuces, baby carrots and radishes. But give me a balcony or patio and I can use larger containers and feel like I'm really gardening!

Watering: Feel the top couple of inches of dirt. If it's dry you need to water. If you have clay pots; fill a sink with water and set the pot down in it and let it soak around 10 minutes. That will water the plant and the pot also. Make sure you have containers under all your inside plants to hold excess water.

I'm not at home this week so pulling all this from my memory. Sure hope I remembered everything! Good luck! You'll do fine I'm sure! Have fun growing & experimenting!

Cherlynn
    Enjoying the Florida panhandle this week!
    Last edited by brchbell; 04-13-2009 at 10:01 AM.

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK I have a stupid question. When the lettuce seems mature, do you just trim off what you want to use for that meal and does it continue to grow back? Or is it once you finish it, let's say a week, then it is dead, so you should have several going all the time??

There are 2 of us and normally eat salads once a day. So would one of each kind be fine? Too much or not enough?

Or did you just have one of each kind, that provided food for a few months, then when you could visually see that the plant was tiring (5-6 months) you started another.

Also, do you store the seeds in the freezer until you use them all? If so, how long do they last (packets normally say 1 year).
    Last edited by jkpjohnson; 04-15-2009 at 07:29 PM. Reason: added a question
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast