Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default making baby food

My son is 7 1/2 months old. I would like to start making him some baby food rather than buying all those stage 2 jars at 44cents a jar.
    Can anyone give me some simple tips on how to start doing this.

Christeen
    ~ They Call it DODGE for a Reason! ~

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: making baby food

I used one of the mini food processors (got mine at WalMart for $5). I would put veggies in there before I seasoned them for us and would process until I reached the desired consistency. The older he got, the chunkier I would leave it. Some things don’t puree really well and you’ll have to remove skins, etc (corn is hard to do) but it is cheaper than processed foods. Good luck!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

After cooking fresh or frozen vegetable or fruits puree.. I too used a mini processor. ...then freeze in ice cube trays. When frozen pop into freezer bags to keep then separate. I always cooked my babies food..not only was it less expensive, I was able to use all organic. There are some great cook books for babies maybe you could check out in the Library if you want some really creative recipes. I am sure you could find some recipes on the Internet too. dawn

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did the same thing as these other moms, except I didn't have a mini
    food processor. I used a Foley food mill (you turn the handle by
    hand) or sometimes the blender. Both worked fine. My daughter loved
    the homemade food better than the stuff in the jars. Sue

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am the Program Director of an agency that works with teen parents (teaching all kinds of parenting skills to these young parents) and making homemade baby foods is one thing that these young parents really enjoy learning to do…I like to think that once we teach them how to do it that they do it all the time (yea, right…lol).

Making homemade baby food is actually quite easy and MUCH less expensive than those little jars that cost $.50 each… First, using a blender makes life easier, but a good hand masher will work, too…

Fruits are the easiest: wash them well, peel any skin from them, remove any seeds or pits and mash (or blend) until the desired consistency (do not add sugar)…

Veggies: again, wash them well, peel any skin from them, remove any seeds or pits and simmer on the stove in a pit of water ~ or steam them in a steamer ~ mash (or blend) until the desired consistency (do not add salt, butter, sugar, etc)…

Meats/Poultry: trim any fat from the meat/poultry and cook as you would for the bigger folks in your family WITHOUT adding any salt, fat, butter, etc…and be careful of adding spices …spices are much stronger for babies/toddlers/young children than they are for older folks. Cut cooked meat into small pieces and blend in the blender until you reach the desired consistency.

You can freeze portions in a clean ice cube tray…each “ice cube” is about 1 ounce. Once the “cube” is frozen, you can transfer them to zip lock freezer bags for future meals. It is quick and easier…

Make sure you are adding/introducing foods to your child when they are age appropriate…Young babies should never have honey or anything that hasn’t been pasteurized.

There are many websites that list/discuss making homemade baby foods…Good Luck….And Have Fun!

Stay Warm!!!

Mel

Mel Barkley

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

In addition to previous posts on this topic:

I made baby food for all of my kids. The only thing I ever purchased was unsweetened applesauce (not "baby food", but regular), since we all ate that. I used my immersion blender to puree fresh veggies after I cooked them (baked squash, steamed carrots etc.). I also bought canned fruits (in juice, not syrup), drained, pureed & froze them in ice cube trays. Bananas can be mashed & frozen. I also had a manual baby food grinder that I brought to the table to puree veggies (frozen, or unsalted canned) when I served them for dinner, so we all had dinner together!

There was a book I used for recipes for teething biscuits, homemade cereals & such, called "Feed Me, I'm Yours". I've had my copy for about 20 years, so I don't know if it's still in print, but it was very good.

* * dee * *