Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Star Spaghetti with Seafood Sauce

I don't get to make this dish often as it takes me awhile to collect the ingredients from the mark-down bin and put them in the freezer. when I have all the ingredients, I make it, eat it (oh YUM!), freeze some of it, and start watching the mark-down bins to start collecting all over again! LOL! I'm posting the recipe here, because it can...depending on your efforts...be made for $1 to $3 per batch!
    Spaghetti with Seafood Sauce
    1/2 lb large shrimp in their shells (can used canned small and skip the shopping)
    1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
    4 tbs butter
    2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
    2 cups canned plum tomatoes, chopped (unless you have them fresh from your garden)
    1/2 cup dry white wine
    1 lb sea bass, mullet, porgy (whatever 'meaty' fish you find in the mark-down bin)
    1/2 lb cod (or whatever white fish you can find in the mark-down bin!)
    1/8 tsp saffron (can substitute turmeric if that's what you stock)

salt and pepper to taste
    16 oz box spaghetti
    Shell shrimp, chop them into small pieces, and set aside. Warm the oil and 3 tbs of butter in a deep, broad skillet. Add the garlic and saute until softened, 3-4 minutes. Add the tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat. Stir in the wine. Allow it to evaporte for 2 minutes. Place all of the fish in the pan. Cook for 10 minutes over medium heat, turning once. Remove the pan from the heat. Warm the remaining butter in a small skillet and add the shrimp. Saute until they turn pink, about 3 minutes. Add the shrimp, saffron, and salt to the sauce and heat it through. Season with pepper and remove from the heat. Meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to directions. Drain and toss with the sauce in the skillet, then serve immediately. 4 servings = about 680 calories.
    don't forget to have a salad on the side and some crusty bread to sop up this fabulous sauce!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post: