Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to find free stuff

Borrowed from Yahoo.com (Green 03/24/09)

Want free furniture, a place to stay, or even a bike? Thanks to the Internet, it's fairly easy to find a wide variety of free products and services.

Dozens of websites are dedicated to helping you locate stuff your neighbors want to unload, opportunities to swap what you no longer need, ways to find giveaways from businesses, and more.

Obviously, seeking out free stuff is great for your budget, but it can also be good for the planet. Reusing things, for example, keeps valuable items out of the landfill and saves the resources needed to make a new product from scratch.

Here are some of the best ways to find free stuff:

Log onto Freecycle and other reuse groups to search listings of items being given away by people in your town.

Craigslist has a whole category dedicated to "free stuff" for each of its participating cities. Find everything from cardboard boxes to electric sewing machines to computer games.

Search for free reusable items with the Local Reuse application on your iPhone.

CouchSurfing connects travelers with hosts around the globe. The result: You get both a free place to stay and locals to hang out with for an inside glimpse of other cultures.

Want free accommodations while travelling, but aren't up for sleeping on a couch? Use Digsville, Home Base Holidays, HomeExchange.com, and HomeLink to find traditional home-exchange opportunities.

Favorpals is all about helping you trading skills and favors. Clean someone's house in exchange for dog walking when you're at work or for tutoring your kid in math. Or offer painting services and get help with designing a website.

You can trade anything from babysitting and calligraphy lessons to pianos and foosball tables to cars and boats at U-Exchange.

Swap books, music, DVDs, or video games via mail through Swaptree. Print a postage label right from your computer for easy mailing.

You can trade clothes, accessories, shoes, and even cosmetics at Swapstyle.

Trade kids' stuff you no longer need at Tots Swap Shop or Kizoodle.

Get free new jewelry at Silver Jewelry Club. What's the catch? This jewelry manufacturing company is looking to get the word out about its designs. Be prepared to pay modest shipping costs.

MyOpenBar.com helps people find free (or cheap) drinks in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Honolulu, and Miami.

, StartSampling, and Free Stuff Channel are just some of the websites dedicated to helping users find giveaways, samples, trials, and other promotional items.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to jkpjohnson For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Talking Re: How to find free stuff

Quote Originally Posted by jkpjohnson View Post
    Borrowed from Yahoo.com (Green 03/24/09)

Want free furniture, a place to stay, or even a bike? Thanks to the Internet, it's fairly easy to find a wide variety of free products and services.

Dozens of websites are dedicated to helping you locate stuff your neighbors want to unload, opportunities to swap what you no longer need, ways to find giveaways from businesses, and more.

Obviously, seeking out free stuff is great for your budget, but it can also be good for the planet. Reusing things, for example, keeps valuable items out of the landfill and saves the resources needed to make a new product from scratch.

Here are some of the best ways to find free stuff:

Log onto Freecycle and other reuse groups to search listings of items being given away by people in your town.

Craigslist has a whole category dedicated to "free stuff" for each of its participating cities. Find everything from cardboard boxes to electric sewing machines to computer games.

Search for free reusable items with the Local Reuse application on your iPhone.

CouchSurfing connects travelers with hosts around the globe. The result: You get both a free place to stay and locals to hang out with for an inside glimpse of other cultures.

Want free accommodations while travelling, but aren't up for sleeping on a couch? Use Digsville, Home Base Holidays, HomeExchange.com, and HomeLink to find traditional home-exchange opportunities.

Favorpals is all about helping you trading skills and favors. Clean someone's house in exchange for dog walking when you're at work or for tutoring your kid in math. Or offer painting services and get help with designing a website.

You can trade anything from babysitting and calligraphy lessons to pianos and foosball tables to cars and boats at U-Exchange.

Swap books, music, DVDs, or video games via mail through Swaptree. Print a postage label right from your computer for easy mailing.

You can trade clothes, accessories, shoes, and even cosmetics at Swapstyle.

Trade kids' stuff you no longer need at Tots Swap Shop or Kizoodle.

Get free new jewelry at Silver Jewelry Club. What's the catch? This jewelry manufacturing company is looking to get the word out about its designs. Be prepared to pay modest shipping costs.

MyOpenBar.com helps people find free (or cheap) drinks in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Chicago, Honolulu, and Miami.

, StartSampling, and Free Stuff Channel are just some of the websites dedicated to helping users find giveaways, samples, trials, and other promotional items.

I know this wasnt in the article, but don't forget budget101.com
    Mdowdy

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: How to find free stuff

I was thinking the same thing earlier...
    I know this wasnt in the article, but don't forget budget101.com
    It seems that somebody always leaves the best out. Shame on them Fifty lashes to them...
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to find free stuff

Another way is to simply mention the item that you're looking for. When I was pregnant, I mentioned in lunchtime conversation (at work) that DH and I were going to go crib shopping that weekend. Within hours, I had (unexpected) emails from co-workers that ranged from "My sister is selling her nearly brand new crib in her yardsale for $50 because it doesn't match the paint that they used in the nursery" to "I still have my 9 year old's crib in the basement, and I'd love to free up the space. It's yours if you can pick it up."

This has happened with other things too, like a replacement coffeemaker (I asked if anyone knew of any sales on coffee makers at Target or Bed Bath and Beyond, and my receptionist said that her daughter had 3 coffeemakers from her wedding shower, and neither of the happy couple drink coffee. The coffeemakers had been collecting dust in my receptionist's garage for 14 months, since the wedding. She let me have my pick, and I repaid her with several jars of homemade strawberry jam. Everyone's happy.

Often, people have things collecting dust in their basement/garage because they never get around to having that yardsale. If they know that you're looking for it, you might get what you need for free/nearly free. You can always reciprocate by asking what household items they might need, and checking your "yardsale-to-be" piles.

ETA: The end of the crib story: I "bought" a nearly new crib and a brand new mattress from a children's resale shop, by trading some nearly new brand name maternity clothes that I had "out grown" by 28 weeks. After DS had gently used the crib, I traded it back in exchange for gently used clothing. (One of my co-workers had told me about the shop, and their awesome trade-in program.)
    Last edited by jedda; 03-25-2009 at 07:55 AM.