Smart Budgeter
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Question(s) About Egg Whites & Egg Yolks

I was given a container of refridgerater (sp) egg yolks and a container of refridgerater (sp) egg whites. I know the yolks can be substituded for regular eggs in cooking and eating. But I don`t know what or how to use the egg whites. Can anyone help me

I need receipes for the yolks and egg whites.

TIA
    Yvonne

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Yvonne For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Question(s) About Egg Whites & Egg Yolks

Egg whites can be used to make Angel Food Cake, White cake and meringue. You can also beat them up and put them in the freezer to use later. Egg Whites freeze well.

Egg yolks can be used to make pudding and home made egg noodles. They can also be frozen but don't freeze as well as egg whites. You should mix a little water in with them OR mix them with the egg whites if you are going to freeze them. The yolks by themselves get thicker and are hard to work with after freezing. Mixing them with the whites and freezing prevents this problem. I use my yolks to make egg noodles and then spread them out to dry for a few days and then bag them up. Good luck! Wish I had eggs given to me!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

you can mix them together and use for anything you would use eggs for ..

extra eggwhite added to eggs (scrambled etc) makes them lighter and fluffier .. also less chlosterol total (same physical amount on plate vs another with reg eggs)

Ria

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

for every egg white you need 50g of caster sugar. or 25g icing sugar 25g caster sugar

Beat the egg whites untill they start to expand gradually add the caster sugar. when you get soft stiff peaks and all the sugar is mixed in. your done. fold in the icing sugar now if using.

spread onto a baking tray lined with greasproof and bake on high heat for 3 mins and leave to dry out on the lowest setting possible for about 10 hours chewcking periodically.

you now have french meringue. smash it up and mix with whipped cream and some fresh berries. you now have eaton mess mmmmmmmmmm

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

Egg Whites and water is what people buy when they buy "Egg Beaters" Substitute for whole eggs. People use them for whatever they use eggs in. I always wondered why people said it was an egg substitute when it is part of the egg itself.

Here is a Angel Food Cake recipe and its companion the 12 Yolk Cake (my mother-in-law always made them both--if she made one she made the other.)

Angel Food Cake

12 Egg Whites
    1 1/2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
    1 1/2 cups Sugar
    1 1/2 teaspoons Vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon Almond extract (optional)
    1 cup sifted Cake Flour
    1/4 teaspoon Salt

In large bowl, using a mixer, beat egg whites with cream of tartar at high speed until foamy. Add 3/4 cup of the sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, beating constantly until sugar is dissolved and whites are glossy and stand in soft peaks. Beat in flavorings.

Sift together flour, remaining sugar and salt. Sift about 1/2 cup of the flour mixture over whites and gently fold just until flour disappears. Repeat, folding in remaining flour mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Pour into ungreased 10 x 3 3/4-inch Angel Food pan. Gently cut through batter with metal spatula.

Bake in preheated 375 F oven until top springs back when lightly touched with finger, about 30 to 40 minutes. Invert cake in pan onto a funnel. Cool completely. With narrow spatula or knife, loosen cake from pan and gently shake onto serving plate.

You can top with fruit or icing.

12 YOLK CAKE

12 Egg Yolks
    1 1/4 cups Sugar
    1/2 teaspoon Cream of Tartar
    1 1/2 cups Cake Flour
    1 teaspoon Baking Powder
    1/2 cup Oil
    1/2 teaspoon Lemon Extract
    1 cup Boiling Water

Beat egg yolks until creamy, add sugar, beat. Add sifted dry ingredients with boiling water. Add extract and oil. Bake in angel food cake pan lined with wax paper for 55 minutes at 300 degrees.

I liked to top with Lemon Frosting.

Hope this helps. Thanks; Virginia

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Egg whites are great fr meringues.