Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 14 Creative Ways to Use Candy Canes

Here are some creative ways to use those candy canes.

1. Each year, I like to hang candy canes on the Christmas tree. Not only do they look pretty, but if you get hungry, you can grab one as a snack.

2. Try stringing a row of candy canes across the top of an entryway or fireplace mantle. You can also use the canes to decorate wreaths.

3. Last year, my sons made Christmas cards for their grandmothers using candy canes. They joined two canes together on the front to form a heart shape.

4. You can use candy canes to make decorations and crafts. Someone in our home school group made beautiful candle holders for the centerpiece decoration at our Christmas potluck. She bought 5/8-inch size dowels and cut them in to four-inch sections. After painting them red, she used hot glue to attach the candy canes to the dowel (upside down with the hook away from the dowel). The bottom of the candle rests on the dowel in the center of the candy canes. She added some greenery to the bottom, but you could also add a ribbon around the center.

Depending on how crafty you are, you can probably come up with several craft ideas for candy canes.

5. Put a couple candy canes in gift baskets or use them with a ribbon as decoration on top of your Christmas gifts.

6. Crush some candy canes and add them to hot apple cider. You can also use a candy cane as a stirrer for your hot chocolate, tea, or coffee. The flavor of your beverage can change depending on whether you choose peppermint, chocolate mint, cinnamon, cherry or any other flavor.

7. Break up candy canes and drop them into a two-liter bottle of ginger ale. Add this to your punch for a wonderful beverage at your Christmas party.

8. If you're having a sit-down Christmas party, use candy canes as part of each place setting.

9. Chop up candy canes and sprinkle them on an ice cream sundae.

10. Add crushed candy canes to brownies, cookie batter, or rice krispy treats. The canes add a unique flavor and crunch and also make a colorful cookie.

11. Use crushed candy canes to decorate your cut-out Christmas cookies.

12. Also try adding crushed candy canes to your frosting for a unique candy cane frosting

13. White Almond and Candy Cane Bark
    Melt 1/2 package of white almond bark. Stir in 6 to 8 crushed candy canes. Pour the mixture onto wax paper and cool to room temperature. Break into serving size pieces.

14. Try making decorative ornaments with them. See Stained Glass Cookies for a recipe.

Stained Glass Cookies
    by Rachel Keller

Here is a wonderful recipe for you to try. These cookies are so versatile. Not only are they great to eat, but they also make great Christmas tree ornaments, window decoration, or gifts. And if you are pressed for time, you can use ready-made sugar cookie dough. The cookies look best if you use colorful hard candies or lollipops, but you can also use candy canes.

For this recipe, you will need either a batch of sugar cookie dough or the following ingredients:

1 cup softened margarine
    1 cup brown sugar
    1/3 cup honey
    1/4 cup water
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. baking soda

3 cups sifted flour

You will also need the following:
    bright-colored hard candies or lollipops
    several self-sealing plastic bags
    aluminum foil
    cookie cutters

If you are making your own cookie dough, mix the margarine, sugar and honey in a large bowl. Add the water and stir until smooth. Combine salt, baking soda, and flour in a separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar mixture a little at a time. Knead the dough between your fingers. Put it in the freezer to chill for at least 10 minutes.

While the dough chills, separate the candy by color into baggies. Crush candies with a hammer or other object.

If you have cookie cutters, roll the dough out on a floured surface. Cut out shapes with cookie cutters. (You can use mini cookie cutters to cut shapes out inside, or carefully cut out by hand.) For ornaments, make a hole with a straw before baking. Place cookies on a pan with aluminum foil. Put crushed candy in the center and bake cookies according to package instructions.

You don't have to use cookie cutters. Roll pieces of dough into long, thin strips. Create designs with the strips. Make a little hook with some extra dough. Bake these at 325 for 5-8 minutes. Let cool for a few minutes. Then fill the holes with candy pieces, and bake just until the candy starts to bubble. (Watch carefully so they don't burn.)

After the cookies cool and are hard, peel from foil. If some foil sticks to the cookie, just remove by hand. These taste great and look beautiful!

Check out our Holiday Recipe Ideas for more great holiday recipes.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 14 Creative Ways to Use Candy Canes

I just wanted to add something that I think is cute for candy canes it to stick one or 2 in your or young girls pony tail. It really does look cute and hey cheaper than buying a bow. I also like to do this with lollipops !!!!
    Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD. Psalm 127:3
    There shall nothing cast their young, nor be barren, in thy land: the number of thy days I will fulfil.
    Exodus 23:26

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Love all your ideas!! Wanted to add one with the larger size Candy canes - We bought a plant for the secretary that could stay on her desk during season then take home. We tied Candy Canes all along the outside of the pot then covered the string-line with Inch wide red ribbon on top area and lower area. It looked so pretty. I think it would make a nice teacher gift in a small pot like with a greenery type plant - chris's was a little tree she later planted in her yard at her new house.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use most of these ideas already and then long about January I crush the left of candy canes and add them to cakes, cookies, hot teas, icing toppers, ect to use them up.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wow!!! These are wonderful tips. I love candy canes. I think I might try out the candy cane candle holders...that sounds really neat!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great ideas for my left over candy canes, Thanks

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just made stained glass cookies this morning using crushed leftover cherrry candy canes!