Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question Anyone try "once a month cooking"?

Anyone out there brave enough to have tried this or is doing this? It's Also called freezer cooking. I've thought about it but I'm not sure it would be woth the weekend being stuck in the kitchen cooking. And where would I come up with a month's worth of meals? Sheesh....
    I'm just takin' it one day at a time...

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OverMyHead For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Anyone try "once a month cooking"?

I have the cookbook and it's pretty cool but I've only done a week at a time so far. It is nice to have everything ready to go.

My family is so picky too and we have a couple food allergies so not all the recipes they suggest will work for us.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've never been brave enough to try it. Plus I don't have the room in my freezer. I do however freeze leftovers for a later date. It would be interesting to hear from someone how has done it though.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

We use to do once a month cooking. We'd shop one day, food prep the next day and then cook and freeze the third day. We loved it at the time. Home schooling 5 and busy in so many other areas and we could just pull and bake or crock pot what ever right out of the freezer no work to do. down to just 2 with schoolwork and working here at home with only 2 activity days so only do 5 to 8 freezer meals now for days we need a fast meal. We only eat out once o month on the day we grocery shop and half the time we just come home and do chef or taco salads instead of eating fast food. I now can a lot of stuff like pizza and Spaghetti sauce so we can make those meals pretty quick. We make lasagna up in a triple batch and freeze those whenever we make it. Like I said when we were really really busy once a month it was worth it to just cook and be done with it once a month. It saved us the whole month! but now that we've slowed way down we just kind of stock the freezer up as we go. If you just think about what freezes well and when you fix those meals make a lot of it and freeze it, after a couple month's you'll have several freezer meals ready for the nights you need them! We started out with a Once a Meal Cookbook (ISBN# 0312243189) and selected about half our recipes from her cookbook and filled in with our own recipes and was able to do this with great success. Our whole family worked on this and it was fun and not stressful for me. Just after we moved from Maryland back to our Missouri farm we were slowed down a lot more and decided we didn't need to do it so much anymore. good luck to you what ever you decide to do!

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Once a month cooking sounds great, I shoot for a week to two at a time but that is all the more I have managed to do so far.

We started out with a Once a Meal Cookbook (ISBN# 0312243189) and selected about half our recipes from her cookbook and filled in with our own recipes and was able to do this with great success.
    brchbell, I can't wait to check out this cookbook, thanks.
    Great topic OverMyHead!

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have never cooked for a whole month at a time. One or two weeks is all I've done, but it was a big help. Sometimes it's easier to just do some "prep" work before freezing. For instance, I will cook up 5 pounds of ground beef, along with some chopped onion and garlic, then drain off the excess fat and package it in meal-sized packages. Then I can make chili, sloppy joes, or any number of casseroles without the hassle of chopping onions and browning the beef first. When I buy chicken I will often cut it into strips, place in a zip-top freezer bag and pour in a fajita marinade. I then freeze the whole thing. When I'm ready to make chicken fajitas I just defrost the chicken in the refrigerator overnight. Now I'm halfway to dinner and I don't have to remember to allow time to marinate the chicken! This will work with any marinade.

You can also chop & freeze peppers and onions and have them "recipe-ready" to save you time later. Even if you don't cook for an entire month you can have a few items in your freezer that can be quickly turned into a meal. Just planning a few days worth of menus can also save you time because you know exactly what you are making and what you need to make it.
    I am SO looking forward to "empty-nest syndrome"!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Smile Re: Anyone try "once a month cooking"?

I haven't done a whole month at a time...but I've done a little of what everyone else has done. I usually cook based on 'meat' type...may cook up some meals, cook up and freeze (cubed chicken, cooked hamburger with or without onions), when making a meal I may make a double or triple batch and throw the extras in the freezer, or make up some marinade and put it in there and freeze. All of these 'little' things really do add up...and will help a LOT during your week/month. I also do this with breakfast...if I am making pancakes, waffles, or french toast...I make up a triple batch, and freeze the extras ~~ boy does that come in handy in the mornings...throw it in the toaster or microwave for 1 minute in the morning...and wa-la, breakfast for my son while running out the door to get to work.
    If I pick up a great deal on chicken...then I will do all of these things with the chicken. The same with hamburger, pork, and beef. After a few weeks...there are plenty of extra meals in the freezer...it is amazing how quickly it adds up. My dh isn't big on eating the same thing twice in a short amount of time...I may be able to get away with twice a month...if there is a couple of weeks in between ~~ so the way I do it is great for us. I don't spend a whole weekend in the kitchen...a couple hours here, couple there...really can make a difference~~ESPECIALLY just making a double or triple batch when cooking your evening meal...not really any extra time at all...you had to make the dinner anyway.
    I, like you, can't imagine spending 1-2 days in the kitchen....my 3 yo ds keeps me pretty busy, and it just isn't doable at this point.
    Tonight we are having lasagna from the freezer. I made a LARGE pan of lasagna a couple of weeks ago, split it into 4 meals...ate one and froze 3. Homemade lasagna on a work day??!! Can't beat it! *wink*
    There are so many good books out there....plus newsletters (30daygourmet.com) is a great resource for recipes and ideas.
    Hope this helps.....It really is a fantastic concept....you just need to find what works best for you. Start off small...and work from there ~~ you will find what works best for you as you progress.
    Enjoy!
    Happy Spring!!
    Denise F.

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm EXTREMELY SHOCKED that there just ISN'T more about this topic on this site.

It's one of the ultimates in saving $$ in MY opinion.

Anyway for those of you that WANT to be very serious about it ..
    this site is AWESOME for a WEALTH of information!

Dinner Menu Subscriptions and eBooks | Menus4Moms.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast