1/4 cup unsifted flour
    2 pkg. dry yeast (or 2 cakes)
    1/2 cup warm water
    3/4 cup milk, scalded
    1/4 cup sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    1 egg, beaten
    3 1/2 to 4 cups flour

Cream butter and 1/4 cup flour. Place between 2 sheets of wax paper and flatten with rolling pin to 12-by-6-inch rectangle. Chill 1 hour or more. Soften yeast in warm water. Combine milk, sugar and salt and cool to lukewarm. Add softened yeast and egg to milk mixture. Add enough flour to make soft dough. Knead on floured surface 5 minutes. Roll out to 14-inch square. Place chilled butter on one half and fold other half over butter. Seal edges and roll to 20-by-12-inch rectangle. Fold in thirds, making 3 layers and roll again to 20-by-12 inch rectangle. Repeat folding and rolling 2 more times. Fold in thirds and chill 45 minutes. Divide dough in fourths and roll each to 22-by-7-inch rectangle. Cut each into 10 triangles. Roll each from base toward point. Place point side down on ungreased baking sheet, curving ends. Cover and let rise until doubled, 30 to 45 minutes. Brush with egg yolk beaten with 1 Tablespoon of milk. Bake at 375 degrees F for 12 to 15 minutes.

Makes 10.

Thanks; Virginia

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Virginia For This Useful Post:

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Croissants

I have a questions, thanks to this website and cool recipes i have no baked bread and baking goods a few times. I seldom buy bread and pizza dough anymore and everything tastes so good. My question is i want to freeze some of the things so i have them ready to take out on busy morning instead of preparing them fresh from scratch. Can i freeze dough with yeast or that will kill the yeast? Or i just have to bake it and and just heat it up. I know Pillsbury sold frozen bisquuits if anybody knows what dough that is let me know so i can make freeze some too. any input would be aprreciated more baked goods ready is more money in my pocket i dont have to shell out at the store. thank you please let me know what doughs i can freeze!!!

Deal GURU
    Downloads
    Uploads

These Croissants freeze well.
    You can also freeze yeast doughs before cooking just let them rise the first time and cover and freeze. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and allow to thaw and rise at the same time; bake.
    Thanks; Virginia

still digging' my way out
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thousand thanks i will try that

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

My mouth is watering,
    bet these taste heavenly,
    will keep this recipe even though it looks time consuming, have a bunch of pillsbury I got free that need to be used up first.
    Thanks for the post.
    Niddi

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Virginia,

I could eat "Croissants" any time. I haven't even thought about making my own. I went ahead and printed this recipe. Thanks also for the extra input
    These Croissants freeze well.
    You can also freeze yeast doughs before cooking just let them rise the first time and cover and freeze. When ready to bake, remove from freezer and allow to thaw and rise at the same time; bake.
    I make my own biscuits & breads and keep them in the freezer this way also...
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"