Senior Citizen concerns

Don't know how many members are Senior Citizens, retired or about to be, but I would love to see a discussion board where concerns pertaining to our age group could be discussed. how do you deal with your ever declining IRA? are you back on a job after retiring? best medigap policies?

bell, car, care, community, company, economy, food, foods, free, frugal, garden, hat, health, hey, how to, local, peppers, today, tomatoes, year, senior, deal, discussed, concerns, longer, members, drive, started, readjusting, loss, helping, spouse, hobbies, interest, yardwork/housework, boredom, grown, frustrations, age+++, lots, parents, grandchildren, topics, discounts/benefits/organizations, children, love, discussion, board, pertaining, citizen

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Senior Citizen concerns

Don't know how many members are Senior Citizens, retired or about to be, but I would love to see a discussion board where concerns pertaining to our age group could be discussed.

how do you deal with your ever declining IRA?
    are you back on a job after retiring?
    best medigap policies?
    anyone making it just on your Soc. Sec?
    health issues?
    when to downsize? regrets on downsizing?
    how do you deal with no longer being able to do all the yardwork/housework?
    boredom?
    new hobbies?
    frustrations?
    when you can no longer drive?

readjusting after loss of spouse?
    helping grown children?
    senior discounts/benefits/organizations that help ?
    having to be parents again and care for grandchildren?

lots of topics that could be discussed. Are there enough age+++ members where this might be of interest?? If so, how does it get started?
    Niddi

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Niddi For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Senior Citizen concerns

Niddi - I think this is an excellent idea. I, for one, would really like to see this. I'm sure there are people who have answers to others questions.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

We are senior citizens. We do have only our Social Security to get by on. It be real tough, but we have no other choice, can sometimes be tough. We get by on $1500.00 a month. I have several serious health issues & DH has to do most everything around here, plus meds are quite costly. We have friends that have IRA,s, etc, but they are all quite worried about their futures & they have all lost most of their money.
    I have a grandmother from Scotland & she taught me to be frugal when I was young. DH grew up on a farm in MI., 9 kids & his parents were very frugal & taught them to be.
    Everybody will be a senior sooner or later & the sooner you get ready for it the better you will adjust to it. It can be a fun time. We figure that you can either enjoy this time of life or be miserable & we aren't miserable! LOL

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Niddi,
    I think this is an excellent idea
    Maybe a sub forum also to the main one----How to prepare for this part of life and what some have done or are doing to prepare ( could this be put into this suggest as well ?). I know that there are alot of people out here that could help anwser these questions too from their own experiences.

I'm always looking for ways on how to be better parpared for this part of my future (not really that far away)..

Thanks again Niddi. This post makes it look like you have had your thinking cap on... !!!!!
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: Senior Citizen concerns

Margaret K,
    What a wonderful outlook to life.
    We figure that you can either enjoy this time of life or be miserable & we aren't miserable! LOL
    You two sound like you have found one of the main keys....
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I'm a senior on Social Security, living in a mortgage-free home, paid-for 10-year-old car, and a "granny bike" for times when the car is not practical. I walk with a cane most of the time because of Arthritis in both ankles, and my IRA disappeared with the economy.

And I'm happier now than I have been most of my life. Old age is great time. Health care is at the local Community clinic, a good amount of food comes from the local food bank, and I get reduced rates for telephone and utilities. The electric company even bought me a brand new 21 c/f refrigerator to replace my '70's ones. The gas company fixed my furnace.

I can't work on my hands and knees anymore, so some things don't get done, but things are grabbed with those extension grabbers. Now have 3 of them around the house. The garden consists of pots sitting higher up but they give me tomatoes, cucumbers, bell peppers and herbs. Even tried 'upside down' tomatoes with good success.

Being frugal is fun and something I look forward to and I've learned how to (properly) can foods, helping me build a stockpile that can carry me for a year, which fortunately I was given a message to do several years ago because times would become rough soon and I was to help others do the same. Yup, did that and I can smile today.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

Even though I'm not retired yet(have another 10 yrs) my husband is retired and gets social security and works a part-time job. I think your ideas would be of interest to us and lots of others.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks ya'll, it's nice to know that there are some other seniors on this site who are struggling but still enjoying this time of life.

DH and I are retired, with only one Soc Sec income so far, he's wishing I were on it also but have 2 more years to go(told him to quit wishing my life away). We are drawing a monthly amount out of IRA (what's left of it) to supplement his SS until I get mine. Then we'll try to make it on that and hope to have some left in IRA for emergency situations or major house repairs (like a new roof)
    House is paid for, car is old but paid for and running, except air cond. went out and needs to be fixed before our 100 degree summers set in. Old truck still running (standby vehicle) no bills other than monthly expenses.
    DH is diabetic and heart patient, can't do what he used to. Has riding lawnmower and one of the extension grabbers for pinecones and sticks. I try to do all the raking, trimming and spraying bushes etc. but landscape has gone downhill in the last few years.
    My health is still good and I have thought about going back to work but have been out of the jobmarket for over 10 years (was fulltime caregiver for parent w/Alzheimers) and with the job market the way it is I have doubts about being able to get hired.
    It is just very disappointing to have raised our kids, put them through college, paid off all our bills and looked forward to retirement and maybe taking some trips to now be faced with struggling. Our only pleasure trips have been two trips to Fla to visit friends and 3 hour drives to the mountains where we have our old camper parked on a leased lot (open 5 months a year). We go there about once a month during that time and stay for a week or 10 days. The lease has gone up drastically so we may have to give that up too. Afraid to take any more money out of IRA than we need to meet monthly expenses. Still dreaming of seeing the Grand Canyon, Niagra Falls, and some other places we had hoped to get to.

Margaret K,
    do you mind sharing some of the things you guys do to enjoy your time??

mcnerd,
    I'm curious to what state you live in. It is wonderful that you get reduced rates on phone and electricity. Have never heard of that is SC, all we seem to get is regular increases. What a blessing to have the power co. get you a new fridge and the gas co. fix your furnace. In SC we'd just be tough out of luck.

OK, I've shared and rambled enough for one day. Life is still good, I woke up this morning with a roof over my head, food in the house and a beautiful sunny day to get some yard work done.
    Niddi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast