Depression Recipes

Someone had this posted on Craigslist, has free depression recipes. So I ask them to send me a copy. Very interesting recipes here. Love the way they worded things back then. These are recipes that they used during the depression I believe. Depression Recipes Pasta with Peas potatoes

cakes, cheap, cooking, days, depression, depression recipes, eggs, flour, love, milk, mix, pancakes, recipe, recipes, rising, smile, things, user, videos, youtube, onion, salt, olive, water, potatoes, pasta, pepper, peas, onions, rosy, potatoe, dice, peel, sugar, homemade, serve, simmer, bread, heat, toast, scramble, peppers, desired, shredded, amount, brown, bake, butter, coffee, tomato

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Depression Recipes

Someone had this posted on Craigslist, has free depression recipes. So I ask them to send me a copy. Very interesting recipes here. Love the way they worded things back then. These are recipes that they used during the depression I believe.

Depression Recipes

Pasta with Peas
    potatoes
    onions
    olive oil
    peas
    tomato sauce(optional)
    water to cook pasta in
    peel and dice potatoe and dice onion. put a little olive oil in it fry it until potatoes are "rosy". Open can of peas and put them in. Wait til it boils to put the pasta in. Simmer til pasta is done.Put desired amount of salt and pepper. Put desired amount of tomato sauce in and Serve.

Egg Drop Soup
    Eggs
    Potato
    Onion
    Olive Oil
    1/2 pot full of water
    salt and Pepper
    Bread(choose to toast or not toast)
    shredded cheese( you shred yourself or buy already shredded)
    Dice and peel potatoes and onions. Fry potatoe and onion in olive oil. Brown. Get eggs ready and let it simmer for a bit. Put the eggs in it, let them scramble. (one egg per person.)

Poor Man's meal
    Potatoes
    Hot dogs
    vegetable oil
    tomatoe sauce(optional)
    onion
    peel and cube tomatoes and onions. Put pil in with them and let them simmer. Cut up Hotdog, Fry with potatoe and onion, when hotdogs bend up a little it is done.

Peppers and Eggs
    red, yellow and green peppers(1 of each)
    vbegetable oil
    4 eggs
    salt and pepper
    cut and fry pepper in oil. Turn heat down after peppers begin to brown. whisk 4 eggs together, put them in and let them scramble under wown heat, serve with homemade bread (see below)

Homemade bread

5 lbs of flour
    2 oz of yiest
    water
    add room temperature water throughout. When it feel like proper dough, add salt and sugar to taste. let it rise for about 3 hours.cut slits. bake until it gets fairly rosy

Depression Breakfast
    coffee
    (homemade) bread(cook night before)
    butter
    sugar
    eggs flour

mix together eggsadd 1.5 cups of flour and add sugar. make into cookies, bake at 350 til rosy. serve with bread, butter and coffee.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Depression Recipes

I just love looking at these depression recipes. Many of them are good, just like grandma made, comforting foods. Thanks for the great post

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like to read them too. They are very interesting aren't they.........did you see how they did the bread. Added the salt and suger last......and they didn't measure anything. Which is how I cook alot of times too.
    Tonia

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tonia, I just throw things together too Sometimes it is difficult when someone asks for a recipe. I think after cooking a while you learn what goes good with what and can pretty much eyeball it LOL

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

i watched this videos a few days ago. my grandfather said he ate the same things mostly. this is where the videos are from. http://www.youtube.com/user/DepressionCooking
    Last edited by KawaiiGiggle; 03-05-2009 at 02:14 AM. Reason: forgot the link. >_<
    Ich möchte ein eisbär sein, am kalten polar.... Dan müßte ich nicht mehr schrein... Alles wär so klar... Eisbären müssen nie weinen
    I'd like to be a polar bear, at the cold polar.. Then I wouldn't have to cry anymore.. Everything would be so clear.. Polar bears never have to cry

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great videos, that must be where they got the recipes from. Thanks for sharing. She is a very sweet lady isn't she?
    Tonia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by tsgal View Post
    Someone had this posted on Craigslist, has free depression recipes. So I ask them to send me a copy. Very interesting recipes here. Love the way they worded things back then. These are recipes that they used during the depression I believe.

Depression Recipes
    Yes that is " Depression Cooking with Clara " You can see her in action with her lovely stories to tell on youtube! thanks for the recipes so I don't have to keep jotting notes as she's cooking!

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love Clara's YouTube videos! I wish she had more on there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast