How To Handle Reluctant Cashiers

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance How To Handle Reluctant Cashiers

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      rtebalt

Article from Red Plum
      If a cashier at your local store won’t accept your coupons, but you have previously checked on the store’s official policy, don’t despair. Simply ask to speak with the store manager. Present them with the copy of the store’s printable coupon policy (or let them know who you spoke to who let you know that printable coupons were accepted there) and let them assess your coupons to ensure that they meet the standards discussed on the last page.

As more and more consumers are printing coupons online and using them at stores around the country, the folks at the checkout are getting used to seeing them. But you may simply have hit a cashier who hasn’t dealt with them before. Stay calm, but don’t give up—you’re going to teach them a great lesson, and make sure that future coupon users have a far easier time at that store!

And remember to resist the urge to cave and simply tuck those coupons back into your wallet. If a store’s true policy is that they won’t take the coupons, that’s one thing (though you should definitely let us know! if you hear that from a store.

And we’ll get on it.). But you owe it to yourself to be sure that there’s not simply a misunderstanding. A dollar off is a dollar off, and it’s worth a few moments of your time.

We’ll simply never understand paying full price…

Tarrien

Definitely true, I’ve found that if I don’t know why a coupon works I’ll ask my manager before telling the customer I can’t use it. My other co-workers didn’t always do this and got into more arguments with customers because of this.

The biggest problem for my old job was people liked to pluck the cheapest items that couldn’t be used on coupons. But I’d usually help them out find the cheapest thing allowed they could use if they were a dollar or so off.

Janice Terrell

Ran into this problem with 2 Wal-Marts here in OKC – 1 Neighborhood Market & 1 Super Center. Neither would take coupons from the computer and it wasn’t just the cashier.

mdowdy

Stores here are trying to make it less appealing to use the ones off the internet. They check every printed one against the list they have for counterfit coupons. I can see this on their side but it takes forever if you have more than a few.

I get tickled at the people behind me rolling their eyes etc while the cashier is checking them, but when it brings a bill of over 50.00 down to less than 20.00 I will stand there and happily irritate the people behind me lol

rtebalt

@mdowdy 109894 wrote:

Stores here are trying to make it less appealing to use the ones off the internet. They check every printed one against the list they have for counterfit coupons. I can see this on their side but it takes forever if you have more than a few.

I get tickled at the people behind me rolling their eyes etc while the cashier is checking them, but when it brings a bill of over 50.00 down to less than 20.00 I will stand there and happily irritate the people behind me lol

you go girl! i used to get bothered or worried that the people behind me were annoyed because i was taking so long with all my coupons. then i started to think, hey, i don’t know them & i don’t ever have to see them again!

what do i care! and maybe when the person behind me sees me with a cart full of groceries & only paying $10 they will start using coupons too! 🙂

jkpjohnson

Mike makes me go by myself if I am using coupons, he does not want to be embarassed. I just laugh. He will use a single coupon, but he will not do the dual coupon thing (mfg and store).

Not sure what the differance is. Makes me chuckle.

rtebalt

@jkpjohnson 109923 wrote:

Mike makes me go by myself if I am using coupons, he does not want to be embarassed. I just laugh. He will use a single coupon, but he will not do the dual coupon thing (mfg and store).

Not sure what the differance is. Makes me chuckle.

well, show him the list of things i got at kmart for $107 & that I only paid $25. Then Ask him what he could do with the extra $82 & see if he’s still embarrassed! 🙂

tsgal

I’ve gotten to where I just don’t care what the people behind me think anymore. If I can save a few bucks with that piece of paper than I’m doing it. But you gals are right, there are people that get mad about it.

You would think that they would be happy to see some one save a few dollars. I know I would be happy for someone else if they could save. But in this world today people get in to big of a hurry and miss out on the deals that we are getting……

danghsia

@mdowdy 109894 wrote:

lol i hope I will do the same
      no courage to do so

wilbe95

I know one day at Wal-Mart I used coupons and saved aroudn $30 an older woman behind me was irritated about the wait (cashier was not the fastest). The older woman made a comment when I was all done about hoping my coupons was worth her waiting, I smiled and said I just saved $30, she just said Oh guess it was worth it then. 🙂

nohaloshere

I have found that most people that wait behind me are more impressed with my savings than irritated. Some even ask me where I found my coupon, because a lot of times I will be using at least one coupon for a free product, lol. I have had a few grumpy ones in my time and am so happy that most people are more understanding.

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Budget101 Discussion List Archives General Budget & Finance How To Handle Reluctant Cashiers