Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default 4 Ways that Online Grocery Stores Can Save You $$$

Grocery delivery services seem like a luxury; just point, click, cook! Turns out they can actually save you money, not just time. Here's how.

1) Impulse Buys are Diminished. Perhaps the biggest "a-ha" of shopping online for groceries is this fact: chocolate cupcakes aren't tempting onscreen. It may not be bakery items that get you. Perhaps you throw random beauty products or gossip mags into the cart as you head toward checkout. Whatever they are, those last-minute impulse items really add up; and serious cost savings result when you pull them out of the equation. Shopping online doesn't remove the temptations completely, but it does make them all that much easier to avoid.

2) You Can Track Your Total. We give big props to the women we see in the grocery store with their calculator and list. Calculating the total cost of what's in your cart is the smartest way to keep yourself on budget as you shop. But it's also cumbersome and awkward to do while operating the cart, avoiding other shoppers, scanning the shelves. Shop online and you can check your total at any time, remove items from your cart, then check that total again. If you did that in the real-life checkout line you would be stoned by fellow shoppers. Online you can add, remove, replace to your heart's content. And that can make a huge difference as you hunt to see whether, for instance, buying pre-made pie crust or the ingredients for homemade pie crust costs less.

3) It's Easier to "Shop Your Meal Plan." If you aren't yet shopping based on a weekly meal plan, it's time to get on board. When you take the time to lay out what you'll make for breakfasts lunches and dinners for the week ahead it's super easy to get clear on what you must buy and what you won't need. Everything needed to make the meals (and snacks) on the list gets bought. Anything not needed, doesn't. And shopping online for groceries makes sticking to the plan easier. How many times have we been stuck at the market, trying to remember if an item on our weekly menu requires cilantro. We're not sure, so we throw it in the cart. And when we get home we realize that $1.50 didn't need to be spent. No more unused cilantro withering in the fridge when you're able to grab a cookbook and check the recipe before you complete your online order.

4) Duh. You Save Gas. And No Babysitter. Then there's the obvious stuff. If you don't have to leave your house you don't have to spend on gas. Or make a quick coffee run on your way. Or pay a babysitter to watch the little ones so you're not having to chase after them while you punch in numbers on your calculator. Depending on how far you are from the store, the gas savings alone can add up. But if you're an impulse spender the extra errands you tack onto a grocery store run may really be the big savings.

Plus: Coupon Use is Easy.
    Most of the major online grocery stores take manufacturer's coupons, and as a bonus also have their own steady stream of coupon codes that are site specific. (Read more on using coupons at online grocers.)

A Few of Our Favorites:

Peapod.com (Use the code CJN10 to get $10 off your first order.)
    Amazon.com (Where you'll find a great deal for $25 off a $50 order of Tasty baby organic foods.
    Safeway.com
    BoxedGreens.com
    DiamondOrganics.com
    FreshDirect.com

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to rtebalt For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: 4 Ways that Online Grocery Stores Can Save You $$$

The only thing that worries me is you can't really see the quality of your item until you get it.

But I've considered online groceries before. There's actually a channel in Japan on the Wii specifically for it.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I will have to check some of these out. I looked at the one on Amazon a month or so ago and they didnt take coupons and were way higher than what I usually spend for items such as flour etc.
    Mdowdy

Freebies Make My Day
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was not aware that some take coupons as well. I have not checked these out yet, BUT this might work well if you could partner up with a neighbor to share the delivery charge. I live in a small apartment complex (everyone konws eachother). This might work well for canned/boxed goods. As for meat and freash produce I might try 1 or 2 things only the first time. But I will definatly check it out.
    Hope Everyone Is Enjoying The Day. Best Wishes From MN ~ Pamela