Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Doh Cleaning the litter box

ok I have a stupid question that is in debate within the house. Say you are cleaning the litter box, you have emptied the litter and washed it out etc. Is there any danger in pouring the water from the wash out (if there is nothing left in there) down the kitchen sink, as long as you soak a disinfect cleaner in the sink afterwards? No dirty water etc just rinse after it has been cleaned. I know this sounds gross but we are actually arguing about this around here and I was told to ask the next 10 people I talked to, so I thought I would ask here lol i have a friend who says as long as you disinfect the sink it is fine.
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Cleaning the litter box

I would think that as long as there was not still litter in the box when you clean it out with the water that it would be fine to pour out down the sink then sanitize your sink afterwards. Personally I toss the liquid outside, just a mental thing for me.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by wilbe95 View Post
    I would think that as long as there was not still litter in the box when you clean it out with the water that it would be fine to pour out down the sink then sanitize your sink afterwards. Personally I toss the liquid outside, just a mental thing for me.
    Thanks I agree my other half doesn't on the other hand lol
    Mdowdy

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I put it down the drain and then just sanitize or Dawn it down.
    “If everyone is moving forward together, then success takes care of itself.”

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

this sounds gross
    I really couldn't handle the thought of even a rinse from the cleaned litter box, in the kitchen. Just a thought / why couldn't the final rinse be done where ever the cleaning of the box went on. Wash/rinse & sanitized inside and out & out of the kitchen -- yuck to me .....Off with the heads!! The kitchen is for cooking / and now the whole kitchen would have to be santized..
    Last edited by JoAnn; 02-24-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think it would be a problem if the sink was sanitized afterwards. But, I also agree with the ewwww factor. LOL Personally, I rinse my litter boxes out with the garden hose so all the dirty water is dumped outside.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well the Bio Chemist comes out in me at times like this! Personally the kitchen is already crawling with germs and crap most folks wouldn't even want to know about. I'd be rinsing that sucker in the bathroom and dumping it down the toilet where that type of waste was meant to be. No use adding more bacteria to an area that's already crawling with stuff!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

ok this is how the entire story went. It is a wind chill of less than 24 here so washing it outside is not an option at the moment. She was washing it out in the bathroom and was run out of the bathroom for a "bathroom emergency" lol it's a very small bathroom. Since the litterbox was pretty well cleaned she put more water in it and dumped it down the kitchen sink. Then ran some water with disinfectant in it to clean the kitchen sink. Her hubby came out noticed the cat in the fresh litter box and wanted to know where she finished rinsing the litter box when she told him the kitchen sink he freaked. I agreed with her that the disinfectant should take care of the sink, after all it was just rinse water from an already cleaned box. My other half on the other hand agreed with her other half and it started a conversation here as well as there LOL. So my other half said we will settle it ask the next 10 people you come in contact with to see who they agree with me and him or her and you. So I did.
    Mdowdy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast