Results 1 to 1 of 1
02-23-2009, 09:28 PM #1
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- outside Philadelphia, PA
- Blog Entries
Mile-High Lemon Meringue Pudding Cups
Active Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours 30 minutes (Plus 2 hr chilling)
1 1⁄2 cups sugar
1⁄4 cup cornstarch
1 Tbsp grated lemon zest
1⁄4 tsp salt
1 1⁄2 cups milk
4 large eggs, yolks and whites separated, at room temperature (you need only 2 egg whites for meringue topping)
1⁄2 cup lemon juice
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1⁄8 tsp cream of tartar
1. Heat oven to 350°F. You’ll need 6 ovenproof glass mini–coffee mugs, ramekins or custard cups (½-cup capacity). Arrange on a rimmed baking sheet.
2. In food processor, combine 11⁄4 cups of the sugar, the cornstarch, lemon zest and salt; process until zest is finely ground and mixture is tinted very pale yellow. Transfer mixture to a medium saucepan. Whisk in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring gently until pudding thickens. Boil 1 minute, whisking, then remove from heat.
3. Whisk yolks in a small bowl until blended. Gradually whisk in 1 cup of the hot pudding; return to saucepan and whisk in lemon juice. Bring mixture back to a boil, whisking constantly, and boil 1 minute longer. Remove from heat; whisk in butter until melted and incorporated. Spoon pudding into mugs; place a large sheet of foil over custards to keep warm.
4. Beat 2 egg whites and cream of tartar in large bowl with mixer on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in remaining 1⁄4 cup sugar and continue to beat until stiff, glossy peaks form.
5. Transfer meringue to a 1-gallon ziptop bag. Gather meringue to one corner of the bag. Cut off ½-in. tip from that corner with scissors. Pipe meringue onto top of each hot pudding to cover completely, piping the meringue about 2 in. high (you’ll have extra meringue left; discard). Place puddings in oven 6 to 8 minutes, until meringue sets and lightly browns. Cool to room temperature, then chill 2 hours before serving.
Per serving: 316 cal, 5 g pro, 60 g car, 0 g fiber, 7 g fat (3 g sat fat), 151 mg chol, 146 mg sod
Replies: 0Last Post: 01-13-2009, 04:12 PM
Replies: 0Last Post: 10-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Replies: 0Last Post: 10-08-2008, 04:57 PM
By Liss in forum Budget101 Discussion ListReplies: 0Last Post: 07-16-2008, 10:27 AM
By BiggerPiggyBank in forum General RecipesReplies: 0Last Post: 03-27-2007, 06:49 PM