Results 1 to 2 of 2
Thread: Tips for Frugal, Healthy Eating
02-18-2009, 10:20 PM #1
- Join Date
- Jan 2007
- Newberry, SC
- Blog Entries
Tips for Frugal, Healthy Eating
* Fast Food - Look for stuff that is fast and easy to make, like sweet potatoes (stab, bake, eat). Sweet Potatoes are cheap eats, massively good for you and filling. And one of my favorite fast foods is soup. Yes, soup! (For some great recipes, keep reading.)
* Go Green - Baby spinach is fast-food friendly too. Not as cheap as sweet 'taters, but worth the cost of admission! I like mine stir-fried (little bit of olive oil and lots of garlic) and in salads.
* Brown Rice - You can make a vat of this stuff, scoop into individual freezer bags and freeze for later use if time is of the essence. Having a box of quick cooking brown rice at home isn't a bad idea either, but the long cooking stuff is much less expensive.
* Grown Your Own - Having a veggie garden is a lot easier than you think. Check out The Official Site of Square Foot Gardening and Mel Bartholomew, Originator and Author for a plan for nearly everyone.
* Thirst Out - Water is about as economical as it can get. If you want clean and fresh water, check out different water purifiers and start pile driving the water. Cheaper than anything else you can drink!
* Seasonal Stuff - Buy in season (summer is the time to find cheap watermelon, not the middle of winter), buy locally when at all possible and buy organically.
* Garlic and Onions - These are very inexpensive and will ratchet up the flavor and potency of nearly anything you make, not to mention the antioxidant factors as well. Keep them on hand!
* Read Labels - And remember, if you have to spend 10 minutes deciphering a food's label with unpronounceable chemical additives and you have no earthly idea what they are, your body doesn't know what they are either. Not only that, but also you're going to pay for those expensive chemicals at the cash register and in your own health. Skip anything with fake colors, flavorings or "flavor enhancers." They all rob you of your health.
* Vegetarians Unite - Once a week, go vegetarian. That doesn't mean eating a bunch of soy-based processed foods, but rather choosing a vegetarian meal each week. We had fresh tomato sauce on pasta with chopped fresh oregano and feta cheese sprinkled over the top. The tomatoes and oregano came from my garden and the whole meal was divine!
* Beans, Beans - The ultimate healthy, yet frugal food, dried beans need to be soaked, cooked and then can be made into a multitude of cheap eats, from soups to chilies to salad. Eat your beans for corn's sake!
Don't become a statistic and please don't think healthy food is out of your reach or budget! It's not hard. It's enjoyable and the cool thing about eating healthy, grown in the ground food is you always know what you're eating. No labels necessary!
Source: Dollar StretcherApril
Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
I should have listened to Shakespeare!
02-19-2009, 08:09 AM #2
- Join Date
- Aug 2008
- Blog Entries
Re: Tips for Frugal, Healthy Eating
i love sweet potato soup.Ich möchte ein eisbär sein, am kalten polar.... Dan müßte ich nicht mehr schrein... Alles wär so klar... Eisbären müssen nie weinen
I'd like to be a polar bear, at the cold polar.. Then I wouldn't have to cry anymore.. Everything would be so clear.. Polar bears never have to cry