Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Fresh Tomato Sauce

if you plan a garden with tomatoes or visit the farmer's market or have friends with a garden that always have tomatoes coming out of their ears, then you might want to remember this recipe to take advantage of the bounty! LOL!
    Fresh Tomato Sauce
    1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
    6 garlic cloves, bruised
    1/2 small onion, very finely chopped
    2 tbs parsley or basil
    5 cups fresh, mature vine-ripened tomatoes (plums are the bomb!), peeled, seeded, coarsely chopped, and drained
    1/2 tsp salt

pepper to taste
    Warm the olive oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the bruised garlic cloves, onion, and parsley, if using. Saute until the onion softens and the garlic turns pale golden. Remove and discard the garlic. Add the tomatoes and salt. Use a potato masher or fork to break the tomatoes into fairly small pieces. Raise the heat to high and bring the tomatoes to a simmer. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes acquire a thick, saucelike consistency, about 20 minutes. Add pepper to taste and then remove the sauce from the heat. Makes 2 1/2 cups = about 200 calories per 1/2 cup.
    serve over your favorite pasta, salad on the side, crusty bread...okay, I'm drooling over my own recipe! LOL!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fresh Tomato Sauce

You've got me drooling too. Be so glad when summer tomatoes are back.
    Niddi

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fresh Tomato Sauce

i'm going to grow my own tomatoes this year. or at least attempt to..
    Ich möchte ein eisbär sein, am kalten polar.... Dan müßte ich nicht mehr schrein... Alles wär so klar... Eisbären müssen nie weinen
    I'd like to be a polar bear, at the cold polar.. Then I wouldn't have to cry anymore.. Everything would be so clear.. Polar bears never have to cry