What do You Stockpile?

What do You Stockpile?

I have been researching stockpiling. Anyone here stockpile? if so what do you stockpile and how do you store it. I haven't started stockpiling yet being that I have just started on my journey to a frugal life. I would really like to have any input and ideas on the subject. Thanks, Gizzymo

beef, bones, broth, called, cheri, easily, free, great, hey, home, jus, local, make, meat, nutrition, place, savings, shave, stockpile, weeks, coffee, price, stock, pile, good, expensive, emergency, pack, avoid, lots, rolls, hand, station, sales, hear, aholic, laugh, butt, stairway, stairs, heaven, basement, worker, $14.00, decided, left, cans, average, thing, paid

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What do You Stockpile?

I have been researching stockpiling. Anyone here stockpile? if so what do you stockpile and how do you store it. I haven't started stockpiling yet being that I have just started on my journey to a frugal life.
    I would really like to have any input and ideas on the subject.

Thanks,

Gizzymo
    gizzymo

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What do You Stockpile?

Boy do I stockpile! Everything we need for one year! We started with dry pack canned goods: wheat, corn, flour, pasta, oats, ect then went with personnel supplies. then we added the good stuff: fruits, vegetables, soups, ect. I recommend Provident Living Home and clicking on Family food Storage for basic information on getting a food supply in. there is also a lot on YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. Whenever I have time I go in and punch in all kinds of search phrases and am always amazed at what all I find! I learned the best way to save seeds and how to store them. I learned some very creative ways to use our food storage and how to organize it. Some are excellent and some leave much to be desired!

Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

brchbell- thanks for the links. I have bookmarked them, and Im looking forward to reading them and gaining more knowledge.

gizzymo, you will find a ton of info on the site.
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the links. I am slowly stockpiling some things but only short term so far. Like Pop-Tarts, spaghetti sauce and noodles were BOGO so I got enough for a month until they go on sale again.

I really want to stockpile shampoo, deodorant and health & beauty stuff like that - I'm just not quite sure the best way to start. I have five deos for hubby right now and three for me so that will last a little while but when I see people's huge piles stacked ceiling to floor in the garage it makes me feel like I'm missing out!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My DH was put up in a hotel while he was on medical orders with the Air force. he came home on weekends and during the week, each day he'd throw all the little soaps, shampoos and lotions into his bag. Each day the hotel replaced them. He just came off those medical orders so our supply has dried up but during this time he filled several large boxes of these supplies to put into our emergency storage! We probably have will over a years supply of free soaps & shampoos and hand lotion too! I had a major bonus last month when one of our little country stores went out of business. I got sunscreen for 50 cents a bottle and Fels soap, a lot of us use to make our own laundry soaps,ect for 55 cents a bar! I felt a little guilty cleaning them out but well, not much! I drove up there hoping they still had canning jars but more than made up for my disappointment! Seek and ye shall find! I never know where the next great treasure will be but I sure keep my eyes pealed for things we can use!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've been stockpiling foods and supplies for several years now and I'm good for a year or better. A lot of my food is also home canned which comes from the garden or other sources where the food was either free or at a big discount. I store what I eat and I eat what I store. Same for the supplies. It helps keep the stockpile fresh and i'm not collecting things that I would not eat/use in an emergency. Freezer and dry goods are sealed in FoodSaver bags for longer storage life and bug free.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Deal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by gizzymo1960 View Post
    I have been researching stockpiling. Anyone here stockpile?
    I do, I do!

if so what do you stockpile and how do you store it.
    Dental care products (toothbrushes, toothpaste, listerine, etc), Deodorants, Cereals, Crackers (Various Flavors), Cleaning Supplies (including dish detergents), Personal Care Products (Shampoos, conditioners, lotions, body care products, shaving products), feminine products and anything else that I can get dirt cheap.

For example, last week I purchased 18 rolls of Reynolds aluminum foil for less than $5 total for all 18. It'll never go bad. I saw it yesterday on sale at Krogers for $4.49 per roll! At that price I saved $75.82

We have a Pantry & an additional Closet that dh built into a wall. The key for me is to keep an excel document of the items I have on hand within my coupon binder. Then, when I'm shopping and come across a deal (for example coffee was recently on sale for $5 a tub, less my .55 Q- which is cheap considering it's normally $8.97 per tub- I looked on my spreadsheet to see I only had 2 at home. So I grabbed a few.)

I keep track of cereal this way too. The kids could easily eat a box in a single day, so I don't consider cereal a deal unless I can find it for less than .75 a box.

Stockpiles aren't an overnight thing, they're accumulations that you find over time using deals. Another good example, Bandaids/First aid products... I have 10 boxes of bandaids (all free) from recent insert q's. Yesterday I added 4 more deodorants (all free), 8 tubes of toothpaste (all free), 3 bags of catfood (all free) to the stockpile.
    ~Enjoy!~

FreebieQueen

Like Budget101 on Facebook!
    Join us on Twitter #Budget101

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

cereal, rice, beans, pasta, anything that keeps for a while. I also have canned goods, dry milk, and cleaning supplies.

Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast