See the World for Less

See the World for Less

1. Volunteer for organizations such as Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) that provide food and lodging in exchange for a reasonable amount of daily work. 2. Trade your home with friends around the country and enjoy free lodging in a new location. 3. Go camping, or rent a cabin. Don’t

area, breakfast, check, coupons, eve, hey, local, meals, pay, plan, planning, quick, saving, special, star, started, state, supermarkets, week, world, lodging, free, work, there&8217s, parks, national, food, mother, source, volunteered, snug, instant, innovative, combining, school, haggling, hotel, news, room, vacations, earth, make, rate, learning, program, restaurants, eating, cheaper, safe, find

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default See the World for Less

1. Volunteer for organizations such as Willing Workers on Organic Farms (WWOOF) that provide food and lodging in exchange for a reasonable amount of daily work.

2. Trade your home with friends around the country and enjoy free lodging in a new location.

3. Go camping, or rent a cabin. Don’t overlook state parks and national forests, they’re often less expensive and less crowded than national parks.

4. Try a local vacation. Chances are, there’s something great to see within a 100-mile radius of where you live.

5. Ask hotels about discounted distressed-traveler rates, especially if you hadn’t planned to stop but must because of inclement weather.

6. There’s no law against haggling with a hotel on the room rate!

7. Make your vacations pay for you by combining them with work. I once volunteered for my school to check out an innovative learning program in Vermont and got to stay in a bed and breakfast with my wife for free.

8. Buy food at local supermarkets when traveling. It’s much cheaper than eating at restaurants.

9. Choose a vehicle with fold-down seats if you’re renting a car or truck. Find a safe place to sleep for the night, and you have instant, snug lodging.

Source: Mother Earth News
    Last edited by d_awalker; 02-15-2009 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added Source
    April
    http://www.budget101.com/groups/homeschoolers.html
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
    I should have listened to Shakespeare!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_awalker For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: See the World for Less

I've already started saving out of state coupons for a few quick breakfast meals, along with coupons for the local supermarkets.

And as far as haggling with a hotel on the room rate. I always check whats going on in the area that I'm going to, to make sure there are no special events the week or weekend that I'm going.-- Why should I pay a higher rate -- the local hotel usually charge more when they have these events going on and the hotels are usually booked up and I might be out of luck as well, without pre planning.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: See the World for Less

Room rates in hotels - look again at popular, normally expensive locations. Down here in Florida, the local hotels are doing anything to get people in and rates keep dropping. Normally this is their busiest, most expensive time, but a lot of people are getting great deals right now.