Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Handy household uses for oatmeal

Oatmeal is one of the most widely eaten breakfast foods throughout the world. Whether you love it or hate it, there is no getting around the fact that you've eaten at least a few bowls of oatmeal for breakfast each morning. Although Oatmeal is one of the most widely eaten breakfast foods, there are many more resourceful and unique uses for oatmeal around the house including health and beauty aids, cigarette odor elimination, and even some other handy uses in the kitchen. I have found these uses through trial and error and from household hints passed along from various family and friends.

One of the best uses for oatmeal is to treat overworked, tired, and dry skin all over the body in the wake of skin conditions such as sunburn, windburn, acne, and poison ivy. To use oatmeal to treat these and other skin irritations using regular cooking oatmeal, simply add one to two tablespoonfuls of oatmeal to your warmed bath water. Soak in the bath for a nice leisurely soak until the water cools down. The oatmeal will heal skin irritations and open the skin pores on various points of the body to beautify and heal the skin. Many over the counter moisturizers and lotions now contain oatmeal flakes as an active ingredient.

Even though oatmeal is a widely eaten breakfast food in the dining room, many people don't know that oatmeal can also be used in many other culinary scenarios. Oatmeal can be an excellent binding agent for ground beef and ground chuck used for making homemade burgers and meat loaf. Mix the oatmeal in with your seasonings and marinades as you prepare your homemade burgers and meat loaf. The oatmeal will help the meat to stay well formed as the fat and grease cooks out. Oatmeal is also an excellent base for crust for chicken, beef and pork. Place approximately one cup oatmeal in the food processor and grind until the oatmeal is fine. Roll your meats in the oatmeal crust before baking or frying for a tender, flaky crust that is sure to water the mouths of everyone in the house.

Lets not forget cookies too!!!

Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Handy household uses for oatmeal

For a simple, facial wash, grind oatmeal in a blender to a fine powder and combine with water or diluted vinegar. You can also make a mask with ground oatmeal and yogurt.
    April
    http://www.budget101.com/groups/homeschoolers.html
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
    I should have listened to Shakespeare!

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks D_Walker!!! Excellent recipe!!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're welcome. You can also combine brewer's or nutritional yeast with oatmeal for a mask. I have a natural remedy book around here somewhere. If I find it, I will post more "recipes".
    April
    http://www.budget101.com/groups/homeschoolers.html
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
    I should have listened to Shakespeare!

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I didnt think about using yogurt either

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Looking for a recipe for removing scaly skin from feet. Saw it on Facebook, but cannot locate it. Any help?