Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default When frugality becomes unethical

Frugality is great. I live by frugal principles, and love being frugal. Sometimes though, people will use frugality as an excuse to become involved in unethical behaviors.

Some behaviors are obviously unethical, and are used by people trying to hide behind the cloak of being frugal:

* Keeping an accidental overage from an overworked cashier.
    * Instead of taking one free pen from a bank or store, you take a handful.
    * Not telling a cashier if they forget to ring up some of your order.
    * “You buy an item and you use it a few times and then return it because you’re done with it.”
    * You lie about age — you say that your 13-year-old is younger so that you only have to pay the child rate, or you lie about your age to get the senior citizen discount.
    *Utilizing a "no-questions-asked return policy" for items you have thoroughly used and enjoyed in order to receive a new model.
    * Asking for a cup for water at a fast food place, but then filling it with soda instead.
    * Claiming that a vending machine took your money when you didn’t even use it.
    * Leeching a neighbor’s wireless connection without permission.

Some areas are not so obvious. What about the gray areas? Is it okay to take your own treats to sporting events or to the movie theatre? Even though it is against the "rules", does it truly cross the line?

What do you all think? When does something to save money become unethical? Where should the line be drawn?
    Last edited by d_awalker; 02-10-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: removed duplicate item in list.
    April
    http://www.budget101.com/groups/homeschoolers.html
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be.
    I should have listened to Shakespeare!

2. The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to d_awalker For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When frugality becomes unethical

What goes around in this world comes around. Things you do CAN come back to haunt you. Anything you do will eventually come back to you (be it good or bad) - maybe not today or tomorrow, but sometime.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great post..... These are not things that I condsider being in anyway frugal - I think these are also considered "stealing" and dishonest. This is not something I would ever consider teaching my kids either.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

When its dishonest like all the things you listed.
    Mdowdy

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Karma is something. I'd have to agree with Janice and Lynn.
    These are not things that I condsider being in anyway frugal
    I think that I've seen over half of your list done at one time or another done. But then again I've worked with the public.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You'll end up losing more in the end. My belief system says karma hits you 3 fold. Of which I've noticed karma DOES hit pretty much right after I do anything. Maybe not 3 fold every time, but its pretty quick.

-Friend of mine found an atm card in the machine still so out of curiosity she checked how much was on it. $500. She knocked on the door and tried to return it- the man inside was ticked since it was more work for him. But she did return it.

-I've also found showering often is a must through people around me who don't believe the same value.

Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by faxonfive View Post
    These are not things that I condsider being in anyway frugal -
    Ditto.

Dishonesty is Definitely not the way to go.
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

This is a great post!

Here's one that shocked me. A couple of years ago we had a bad ice storm and several people were without power for many days. The federal government came in and was giving vouchers to people to buy groceries to replace the ones they had lost. I had power and did not claim the voucher, but one of my coworkers got one and she had power as well. There was a limited number of vouchers and it made me mad to know that she claimed one that a family in need could have used. It also saddened me to find out what kind of person she really was.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast