Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default has living frugally ever ended up costing you money?

Has being frugal ever ended up costing you money? You may be wondering how this can be when living frugally is all about saving money. Well it is possible if you are dealing with a company that couldn't find a way to save if they tried.

This week our electric company held a meeting to discuss raising the electric rates this would include (electric, gas, water, trash pickup etc). Why? According to the article because people are conserving so much they can't meet their goals!!!!!!!!!!

How much sense does this make? Wouldn't it be safe to say if they are conserving now if you raise the cost they will conserve even more????

So, I thought it would be interesting to know if anyone else has ever found times when living frugally ended up costing you more.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	b101-frugal-loss-sm.jpg 
Views:	17886 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	11351

Can Stock Photo Inc. / CandyBoxImages
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: has living frugally ever ended up costing you money?

Wow, that's interesting!

I would have to say learning to use my coupons cost me money in the beginning. I'm still learning and it's hard to resist buying something just because I have a coupon. It takes time to figure out how it all works.

What's a Budget?
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your electric company reminds me of a local thrift store. They apparently were not getting enough sales to cover expenses so they decided to raise prices. If not enough people were buying at the lower prices, why do they think they will sell more at the higher prices? Being thrifty now costs more at this store.
    Dianne

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes I'm hearing the same thing in my area! Because everyone is cutting back we have to raise prices! Ours go up 14% in May! Learning about solar panels and wind turbines is starting to look much better! Maybe I can be like my friend in California who built a house and was told sorry charlie no electric in your area! After investing and getting enough solar power going, they changed their minds and said they could have electric after all but she told them to go fly a kite! I'd love to go tell mine to go fly a kite too!

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

they raise prices
    Because the stock holders aren't getting mega bucks ..

Because their costs have increased .. everything from the paper the bill comes on, to employee costs, to transportation - the same issues everyone else has but it gets passed on to the consumer

Only slightly because the amount used is down - (I haven't been able to significantly cut my electric since I have been cutting it for years) ..

Ria

still digging' my way out
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree with the thrift store problem; our local Goodwill charges more than our local Wal-mart for a lot of used items. I went looking for jeans for my oldest boy thinking that it would be about 2 -4 dollars each; NOPE 9 to 10 dollars each for USED jeans. The only reasonably priced pair I found was 4 dollars but had a HUGE hole in the crotch. When I complained I was told that they were not a thrift store, they were a training store for people who couldnt get jobs elsewhere. Whatever.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by Reesie271 View Post
    I agree with the thrift store problem; our local Goodwill charges more than our local Wal-mart for a lot of used items. I went looking for jeans for my oldest boy thinking that it would be about 2 -4 dollars each; NOPE 9 to 10 dollars each for USED jeans. The only reasonably priced pair I found was 4 dollars but had a HUGE hole in the crotch. When I complained I was told that they were not a thrift store, they were a training store for people who couldnt get jobs elsewhere. Whatever.
    LOL yeah our goodwill is like that too. True they train,but they are supposed to be a thrift store. They need to thnk about it, why would people buy used clothes for the same price they can get new clothes. Makes no sense to me
    Mdowdy

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

With food prices going up people would be better off learning to cook more things from scratch. I think many are afraid to try.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast