Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: gardening /09

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default gardening /09

This weekend warmed up so nice I can see the green in my yard. I got soo excited I went outside and looked at my frail attempt at a garedn. I was superised to see many things are green!! my lavender, ireses, thyme (not a superise)and century plants. I want to get started on this years plans. i have a garden map made and a plant dictionary of what plants i have (taken froms daves garden site) I also am starting a list of what plants I want to put in. Have some flower seeds I would like to trade if anyone is interested. Daves garden trade list

I plan on doing as frugal a garden as posable. checked out the Frugal gardener book from the library. Am planning on takeing the city up on the free mulch and compost they offer. I am planning on rain barrels if I can get any barrels. I also plan on tradeing for plants and seeds. MUCH less costly.

Anyone else have plans for this years garden? Also can anyone tell me what your starting years budget were like? DH and I are haggleing over this. i gave my self $200 But he may be right. that may just not be realistic.

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to redring For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wink Re: gardening /09

I also plan on tradeing for plants and seeds
    I would like to ask how and where you will be trading plants. I'm interested in doing some trading myself. They have a local plant swap where I live but thats not until May.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: gardening /09

I have traded online a few times with others. There are sites available online. Daves garden is one. Garden web is another. I need to find a local swap here. Sounds fun! When you trade seeds online the shiping is verry small cost. I would be happy to swap too with anyone who wants to here on budget. I only have a few things for now. two are on my daves garden trade list in the first post. I also have some marigold seeds but no idea what typ as they were given to me. There are others but I am not sure what am going to use yet. I will post the rest to my daves garden "Have" list when I know I have what I need started.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I love to garden veggies. I have many different flowers, but no roses. This year I will be getting some. Tea roses are my favorite, they smell so good. Wish I could help you on the budget thing, but we're still working on trying to figure ours out. It's a challenge.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wish I could help you on the budget thing, but we're still working on trying to figure ours out. It's a challenge.
    Thanks for the tips, I'll have to look thur my seeds as well.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

no problem joann! If you have any you wish to trade just let me know. I have extra cosmos and fanfare blankets and the marigolds.

Tsgal- I love the smell of tea roses. I have a small rose a coworker gave me as a house warming. Its pretty hardy. I couldent believe how far into the cold monthes it was still green! So far I mostly have fruits. This year I wish to add blueberrys. The house had a pear tree already and a neibour gave me two peach starts. The peaches grew about three foot last year!! I was verry superised. I would like to add some veggies into my garden plan too. I want to mix them in though. Shouldent be a problem if i companion plant.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I started learning 2 years ago about saving seeds. biennials are my problems still. think I got the carrots figured out but I really love Broccoli and I haven't figured that one out yet! anyway I've spent $86 this year on seeds from seedsavers.org and will use half of my own and hopefully next year I'll have even more of my own. We put in raised beds last year and put a 7' high fence around the whole thing (100'x 70') so this year we thought we'd start grapes growing on the fence. I've got another $100 set aside to spend on grape vines. My other big investment this year is canning jars to put it all up in!

south bend IN cat lady
    Downloads
    Uploads

I bought a canner last yr after I saw just how many pears I had. I confess though. After the first two baches I was all canned out. The peeling and coreing took ages. I havent quite got the seed thing figured out yet. my flowers are easy but some of the others are kinda tricky. like lavender seeds?? Suposedly they do but I dident see any.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast