Fast, Easy and Cheap Italian Casserole Recipe

You need: 2 lbs ground meat (i.e. hamburger, ground turkey, etc.) , 1/2 cup of macaroni or similar pasta (I like the high fiber kind), 1 26oz can of spaghettis sauce (any flavor you like), chopped up onions, green peppers or other veggies to taste, additional herbs to taste (i.e. rosemary, Italian

bake, casserole, cheap, cooking, fan, hot, ice, kids, meal, minutes, mix, mom, pasta, recipe, safe, salad, side dish, taste, veggies, working woman, Casseroles, meat, dish, make, cover, ground, mixture, herbs, season, donít, spread, additional, oven, serving, sauce, turkey, hamburger, chopped, italian, macaroni, dishes, break, hour, working, woman, bowl, simple, meals, baking, surf

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thumbs up Fast, Easy and Cheap Italian Casserole Recipe

You need: 2 lbs ground meat (i.e. hamburger, ground turkey, etc.) , 1/2 cup of macaroni or similar pasta (I like the high fiber kind), 1 26oz can of spaghettis sauce (any flavor you like), chopped up onions, green peppers or other veggies to taste, additional herbs to taste (i.e. rosemary, Italian season mix).

I like to brown and crumble the meat to reduce the fat content (I also boil my meat which also removes alot of the fat - just remember to season it), but sometimes I just do that as part of the defrosting process if the meat is frozen. I have used hamburger or ground turkey, or sometimes I use 1 pound of each.

Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees.

Thatís it. I like to coat the bototm of a casserole dish with a bit of cooking spray to make clean up easier, but you donít need to do it. Then spread the uncooked macaroni on the bottom of the dish. Donít worry, it will cook as the mixture is baking. Then mix up the meat, sauce, chopped up veggies, and additional herbs in a bowl, and spread the mixture on top of the pasta.

Cover the dish with foil or an oven safe cover, and let it bake for 1 hour. While it is cooking, you can take a break, do the dishes, surf the net, make a salad, or catch up on the cable news.

After you take it out, it will be hot, so take off the cover and let it cool for a few minutes before serving, especially if you are serving younger kids. I love to make a 1 dish meal with this because it has pasta, meat, and veggies, but a salad, fruit cup, or applesauce make a nice side dish too. As a mom and working woman, I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Fast, Easy and Cheap Italian Casserole Recipe

I'm a big fan of one dish meals too! Thanks Lynn!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lynn,
    I am a big fan of simple, 1 dish meals
    my family likes one dish meals also. Thanks
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

I just made this for supper. It was very good. I melted some mozzarella cheese on top. YUMMY !!! Thank you for the recipe.
    gizzymo

What's a Budget?
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bet this would be good to use 1 pound of italian sausage and 1 pound of hamburger
    gizzymo

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am glad you liked it!!! I have also used Deer meat!!
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Ground Level Lurker
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I love recipes for simple, one dish meals. My kids each have to cook one night a week, and these type recipes are good for them.
    ~Rebeka

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My kids make this as well!! very easy for them

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast