How to make a cheap steak cut tender and tasty!!

A good marinade should enhance the meatís natural flavor while making the meat more tender. Every good marinade needs an acid to break down connective tissue and tendorizer. It also needs an emulsifier which carries the marinade deeper into the meat so all of the action is not on the surface.

beer, cheap, favorite, garlic, grill, hat, hey, house, how to, issue, mix, natural, oils, olive oil, pinch, salad, side dish, steak, steaks, wine, meat, marinade, flavor, acids, coca, work, extra, cola, tender, good, slices, tossed, broiled, cheaper, flank, green, pepper, crushed, ginger, dish, marinades, served, side, clove, thinly, order, saute, marinaded, cook, frying

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default How to make a cheap steak cut tender and tasty!!

A good marinade should enhance the meatís natural flavor while making the meat more tender. Every good marinade needs an acid to break down connective tissue and tendorizer. It also needs an emulsifier which carries the marinade deeper into the meat so all of the action is not on the surface.

Coca Cola, citrus juice, vinegar, beer or wine are examples of popular acids that you may already have around the house.

Emulsifiers are oils, like sesame oil (Asian flavor), canola oil, and olive oil.

Some people say that acids do not really work, but I think that is because they do not also add the oil to their marinade. Be sure and let the meat soak in your mixture for 6 hours in order for it to work.

One of my favorite cheap steak marinades - 1 can of coca cola, 1 cup of oil, a pinch of ginger, and a clove of crushed garlic. I use this on flank steak or other cheaper cuts before I barbecue or broil the meat. If you are in a hurry, or just donít want to mess with the grill, you can even saute thinly cut steaks in a frying pan. Just use a little extra oil to cook the marinaded meat until it is done the way you like it. Add some onion slices and mushrooms to the pan for extra flavor and a garnish.

This steak is great when served with broiled green pepper slices, a tossed salad, or any other side dish.
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to faxonfive For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: How to make a cheap steak cut tender and tasty!!

Some people say that acids do not really work, but I think that is because they do not also add the oil to their marinade. Be sure and let the meat soak in your mixture for 6 hours in order for it to work.
    Marinades--Lynn, I usually marinade over night, I like to use Italian Dressing to marinade. You have the science here, Thanks Nice Posting.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dear departed MIL gave me a great recipe for tough, cheaper cuts of steak, or even pieces of stewing meat. She called it "Swiss Steak".

Cut the steak into serving size pieces.
    Dredge in flour, to which salt, pepper, and garlic powder has been added to taste.
    Brown steak WELL, in a small amount of oil.
    To this pan of browned steak add:
    1-12oz. can of "Coca-Cola" ( I've tried others, not the same, and DO NOT EVER USE DIET)
    1-8oz. can of tomato sauce
    Simmer this on stove top, until the steak is fork tender, about 30 min, depending on stove, and steak.
    When the steak fork tender, add:
    1 bell pepper, cut into strips
    1 onion cut into similar strips
    Simmer covered another 15 or 20 minutes.
    Occassionally you may need to add additional liquid, add a small amount of water. If you get too much, not to worry, just simmer till it has reduced.
    When all is done, dish steak onto a platter, surround by veggies, and serve the sauce as a topping for well just about anything. I have used, rice, noodles, mashed potatoes, spaghetti noodles, macaroni, and even toast ( family member would not eat pasta). Hope this is helpful. thanks

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=mardhines;107171]My dear departed MIL gave me a great recipe for tough, cheaper cuts of steak, or even pieces of stewing meat. She called it "Swiss Steak".

One of my friends mom's use to cook Swiss steak when I was little. I loved it! Thanks for the recipe I'm going to make it for my kids.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

you are quite welcome... i am not a meat eater, but i have on occassion ( little ones lol) eaten this.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I used to use italion dressing but Arron didnt like too much
    Tragedy, sadness, loneliness and despair taught me that life is really a beautiful thing; if it wasn't I wouldn't be able to recognize that anything was wrong - Lynn in Virginia

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I take my steaks out frozen and put them into a ziplock bag with the marinate and mix well and leave in Fridge for use the next day. It's thawed for me and had plenty of time to marinate.

Frugal Goddess
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Arent they past the expiration date when taking them out the freezer? My hubby tells me that we have to cook the meat right away in that case and they it shouldnt sit out. You heard of this?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast