Creature Comfort

Creature Comfort

Creature Comfort It's hard not to feel a little calmer when petting a cat or a little happier while watching a puppy play. Now scientific research has proven what we've suspected all along: pets keep us younger, happier and healthier! It doesn't seem to matter what kind of pets we own. Studies

boy, cats, children, credit, day, eve, fall, glue, hat, hey, love, make, needed, night, pets, point, sleep, stick, stop, things, study, heart, owning, comfort, owners, adults, kind, creature, stress, percent, university, fish, dogs, year, lower, watching, happier, health, petting, proven, good, risk, mental, food, replace, reduce, lost, walked, minutes, loss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Creature Comfort

Creature Comfort
    It's hard not to feel a little calmer when petting a cat or a little happier while watching a puppy play. Now scientific research has proven what we've suspected all along: pets keep us younger, happier and healthier!

It doesn't seem to matter what kind of pets we own. Studies have looked at everything from traditional pets like dogs, cats and fish to birds and iguanas. Just owning a pet of any kind decreases your risk of dying by three percent each year, making it an important lifestyle choice.

Here are some ways pet ownership benefits us:

Heart Health

Tests have shown that petting a dog lowers your heart rate and blood pressure. Dog owners also have lower cholesterol as a group than non-dog owners. A study by the University of Minnesota showed that owning a cat cuts the risk of heart attack or stroke by 40 percent.

Longevity

Having a pet increases the chance of surviving a life-threatening illness. In a University of Pennsylvania study, patients with serious heart disease who had pets had lower death rates (less than 6%) than those without pets (28%). Researchers suspect that pets fulfill the "need to be needed" in older adults.

Weight Loss

In one study, dog owners who walked their dogs for 20 minutes five days a week lost 14 pounds after a year without dieting. Another study suggested that playing with and cuddling a pet could replace the need for comfort food.

Good Mental Health

Owning a pet has been proven to reduce stress in adults and children. Watching a fish tank, for example, is as effective in lowering stress levels as meditating or taking medication. Children with pets have a higher level of self-esteem, and children with disabilities respond particularly well to pet-assisted therapy.

Allergy Prevention

While pets can certainly trigger allergic reactions in adults, children who live with a cat or dog in their infancy and beyond are less likely to develop hay fever, asthma or animal-related allergies.

So remember the next time you're cleaning up after your cat or walking your dog on a dark, winter morning that owning a pet is actually good for you!
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to JoAnn For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Creature Comfort

I noticed I cheered up a lot and needed less human attention when I got my ferret. Yay anti-depression ferret

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks JoAnn...I just knew that my little Ox was good for something

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know when my son had his dog staying at the house with us -- I really enjoyed her.

Tarrien, your little ferret has to be a joy to you.. Does it eat dry dog food too ? besides the dry cat food.

We have a large fish tank in the house here, and I could sit for some time just watching the fish, but miss the petting of the dog Lolll No I won't try petting them Lolll.
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've had ferrets that would eat dog food, but this girl is picky. She wont even touch the cat food the cats eat. She'll eat the cheapest cat foods instead which is good.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL petting fish would be interesting I love watching them at the drs office. It really is calming

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

*Due to an accident when user was 3 involving 50 or so fish database does not suggest petting fish. Or taking them out of water

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

LOL I suppose that means walking them is out of the question LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast