NW Missouri
    Blog Entries

Default My Menu for February

I only go shopping once a month so I do my menus up for the whole month. Here's February:

1: Spaghetti from the freezer ( I make up real Italian spaghetti sauce and freeze the extra, it usually does 4 to 6 meals)
    2 fish from "Share" with homemade fries and coleslaw
    3 chicken noodle soup with fresh rolls
    4 Bean burgers with tots and leftover coleslaw (I mix mashed red beans in with the meat)
    5: Hot pocket sandwiches made with my dough, cream cheese/cheese and leftover meats
    6 Tacos, refried beans and mexi-rice
    7. Vegetable Fried Rice
    8 Chicken Enchilada Pie, refried beans and corn
    9. chicken & rice soup
    10 Lasagna with salda and fresh french garlic bread
    11 chicken croissants, green beans (Home School Skate party)
    12. Spaghetti from the freezer
    13. Venison stew with hot rolls
    14 double cheeseburgers with homemade curly fries, salad and **Angel food dessert for Kevin's birthday.
    15.Lasagna from the freezer
    16. Burritos from the freezer
    17. Shrimp fried rice
    18. 7 bean Soup with fresh rolls
    19. Taco meatball braid ( a recipe I just got in the mail I wanted to try!)
    20 Turkey soup
    21. Homemade pizza night
    22 Clay pot Chinese Beggar Chicken with Curried rice
    23. spaghetti and meatballs
    24 Chicken potpie
    25. Chicken soup
    26 chicken Pot pie
    27 Spaghetti from the freezer
    28 Taco salads

** my son wanted something different for a birthday cake so I'm making up angel food cake and will break it into pieces and put into a pan and top with pudding (this time homemade Bavarian Cream) and he asked for strawberries and blueberries to go on top of that and then it's topped with whipped cream and decorated for his birthday.

We add to each meal with whatever we have on hand. Fresh bread is made almost every day. We'll probably cancel one of these meals and go to the city again for the free Fazoli spaghetti thing. It was fun to get away for a day and enjoy ourselves! We only eat breakfast and then dinner around 3PM. Might have a snack early evening, popcorn, smoothie's, ect. Fresh fruit and yogurts available any time if anyone gets hungry but we're usually working so hard we don't notice so got where we eat a little later and make it dinner and then a snack later. If we tried to have dinner in the evening we probably wouldn't get to it until 9PM when most of us are ready for bed!

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to brchbell For This Useful Post:

outside Philadelphia, PA
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Menu for February

Sounds delish!!! Could you share some recipes? I would love to have:

1.) Bean Burgers
    2.) Vegetable Fried Rice
    3.) Chicken Croissant
    4.) Taco Meatball Braid
    5.) Clay pot Chinese Beggar Chicken with Curried rice

NW Missouri
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Menu for February

Quote Originally Posted by rtebalt View Post
    Sounds delish!!! Could you share some recipes? I would love to have:

1.) Bean Burgers
    2.) Vegetable Fried Rice
    3.) Chicken Croissant
    4.) Taco Meatball Braid
    5.) Clay pot Chinese Beggar Chicken with Curried rice
    1. Bean Burgers: taken from 2008
    1 pound of Hamburger meat
    1 cup canned Kidney or Red beans, mashed.
    Your favorite Spice. such as B-B-Q spice
    1 cup chopped onions or 2 Teaspoon onion powder

make Hamburgers up and fry or grill them. No one will be the wiser that you've added extra protein and stretched your hamburger!

2.Vegetable Fried RiceTaken from Discover Recipes on a Budget, Meal Planning, Special Offers and Meal Ideas - Simple and Delicious 2002

* PAM Original No-Stick Cooking Spray
    * 3/4 cup Egg Beaters Original(I use regular eggs)
    * 1 bag (16 oz each) frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
    * 1 teaspoon minced garlic
    * 2 cups cooked brown rice, chilled
    * 3 tablespoons La Choy Lite Soy Sauce
    * 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
    * 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger

1. Spray large nonstick skillet with cooking spray. Heat over medium heat. Add Egg Beaters; cook without stirring until edges and bottom begin to set. Lift uncooked portion and gently turn to scramble. Continue cooking until set. Remove from skillet. Cover and keep warm.
    2. Spray skillet again with cooking spray. Add vegetables and garlic; cook and stir 6 minutes, or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Stir in rice, soy sauce, sesame oil and ginger; cook until heated through. Stir in cooked Egg Beaters. Serve immediately.

3. Cheesy Chicken Crescent Supper got this from guaranteed foods in Kansas City, MO 1983

1 cup cooked diced chicken
    1 cup grated cheese
    2 cans Crescent Rolls
    1 can cream of chicken soup
    1 cup milk

Preheat oven to 375. combine the chicken and half the cheese. separate the crescent dough into 16 triangles. Place about 1 Tablespoon of chicken/cheese on each triangle and roll up, starting from the shortest side and roll the the opposite point.. In a saucepan , combine soup, milk, and rest of cheese. Heat until cheese is melted. Pour half of the sauce(I pour all of it in) into 9X13 pan. Arrange filled crescents over the soup mixture. Bake 20 to 25 minutes until brown. Serve with the sauce. I found I don't use as much chicken as they called for so I usually put the chicken and Cheese on separately so I can freeze what i don't use.

4. Taco Meatball Ring Taken from Taste of Home Jan. 2009

Meet the Cook: While it looks complicated, this attractive meatball-filled ring is really very easy to assemble. My family loves tacos, and we find that the crescent roll dough is a nice change from the usual tortilla shells or chips. There are never any leftovers when I serve this at a meal or as a party appetizer! -Brenda Johnson, Davison, Michigan
     Lower Fat
    METHOD Baked
    PREP 30 min.
    COOK 15 min.
    TOTAL 45 min.

2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese, divided
    2 tablespoons water
    2 to 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
    1/2 pound ground beef
    2 tubes (8 ounces each) refrigerated crescent rolls
    1/2 medium head iceberg lettuce, shredded
    1 medium tomato, chopped
    4 green onions, sliced
    1/2 cup sliced ripe olives
    2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
    Sour cream and salsa, optional

In a large bowl, combine 1 cup cheese, water and taco seasoning. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 16 balls.
    Place meatballs on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 12 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain meatballs on paper towels. Reduce heat to 375°.
    Arrange crescent rolls on a greased 15-in. pizza pan, forming a ring with pointed ends facing the outer edge of the pan and wide ends overlapping.
    Place a meatball on each roll; fold point over meatball and tuck under wide end of roll (meatball will be visible). Repeat. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until rolls are golden brown.
    Transfer to a serving platter. Fill the center of the ring with lettuce, tomato, onions, olives, jalapenos, remaining cheese, and sour cream and salsa if desired. Yield: 16 servings.

Re: Taco Meatball Ring
    This is a Pampered Chef recipe (and one of my favorites!). The only difference is that this one calls for you to make the meat into balls rather than just filling the ring.

5.Clay Pot Beggars Chicken got this while living in Taiwan 1974
    This is a very Chinese recipe that I have simplified! They actually wrap the bird up in paper and wrap it in rolled out clay and then shape the clay into decorative shapes before baking. When it comes out they have to smash the clay pot off with a hammer or mallet then unwrap the paper to get to the chicken.

combine for Marinate:
    2 tablespoons Dark soy sauce (yes you can use regular soy sauce!)
    1 tablespoon sesame oil
    1 tablespoon rice wine
    1 tablespoon grated ginger root
    1 tablespoon slat
    2 cloves minced garlic
    1 1/2 Tablespoon Five Spice

Pour over and coat chicken very well and let sit awhile. I use a regular clay cooking pot that I got in Mexico. I have to soak mine in water for 20 minutes so thats how long I marinate the chicken. Put the chicken into the pot and seal and put into oven. Set to 425 and bake for 30 minutes and then turn down to 350 and bake for 2 to 2 1/2 hours. I use a very large roasting chicken due to larger family and they devour it very quickly! I always serve it with curried rice and an Asian vegetable mix.

Hope I got them all! I haven't tried the Taco meatball thing yet but sounded good and felt like trying something new!