Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default What Really Costs Less at Warehouse Clubs?

By Sally Herigstad
    If you already go to a discount warehouse, like Costco or Samís Club, you know what great bargains you can find. When you get to the cash register with a cart full of giant boxes of food, not to mention the clothes and electronics you hadnít planned on, however, you might wonder if you can afford to save that much!

If you stick to your list, though, you can save money and get great deals:

High-markup staples that keep forever are your best deals at warehouse stores. According to ConsumerReports.org, you can get tall kitchen trash bags for seven cents a bag vs. 19 cents a bag at the supermarket. Thatís a savings of 63 percent.

Most nonperishable foods are good deals. You can save about 35percent on peanut butter, for example, or 47 percent on breakfast cereal.

Vitamins, over the counter medications and cosmetics are sold at significant savings. You can buy a three-pack of mascara for not much more than the cost of one tube at the drug store.

What products are sometimes not such a great buy?

Nothing is a good deal if you donít use it. Buy just the things you need, in sizes you can use before they go stale. Avoid too much of something youíve never tried.

Be careful of cases of vegetable or fruit. Face it - youíre not going to eat that giant bag of cucumbers before they go bad. And itís cheaper to buy three bananas at the grocery store if thatís all you need.

Savings on electronics vary. You may save 5 Ė 10 percent on some items. ConsumerReports.org found a laserjet printer at the local store for less than the price at the warehouse store. It pays to shop around for big-ticket items.

And remember, discount warehouses are not the only game in town. The trick is to shop around and know what staples should cost. Restaurant supply stores are often open to the public and give great savings. And when your grocery store has a two-for-one special on cereal, it may be just as cheap as it is at the warehouse store Ė especially if you bring a coupon.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: What Really Costs Less at Warehouse Clubs?

good tips to keep in mind. thanks
    Niddi

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the tips. Since we have 6 people that live in the house and we homeschool, buying fruit and veggies in bulk works for us without waste. I really need to start making more trips to Sam's in Columbia, but SuperWalmart is right up the street.

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My dad told me about the electronics as well. He said they are not always the best deal. Sometimes, if you wait a while they will lower the price even more!!!

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by d_awalker View Post
    Thanks for the tips. Since we have 6 people that live in the house and we homeschool, buying fruit and veggies in bulk works for us without waste. I really need to start making more trips to Sam's in Columbia, but SuperWalmart is right up the street.
    That's great! I know some people too that don't have as many people in the family, but they share what they buy. (Example: they buy a 10 lb bag of potatoes & each take 5 lbs )

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by rtebalt View Post
    That's great! I know some people too that don't have as many people in the family, but they share what they buy. (Example: they buy a 10 lb bag of potatoes & each take 5 lbs )
    That's what I did when the kids were younger and my older son was not a bottomless pit

Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have fallen into this trap MANY TIMES. Sometimes in the interest of saving money, we end up wasting it.

Thanks for this post.
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

SO very true of this statement..Rtebalt,

And remember, discount warehouses are not the only game in town. The trick is to shop around and know what staples should cost
    JoAnn
    "Joy is not in things. It is within us"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast