Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default RIA's IMBOLC WEEK MENUS

not in order .. this week is a mess schedule wise, Jake is working almost every day (I drive) .. luckily soups fit the schedule and maine season (*I love my CP)

In reality (ie Maine) spring or even thoughts of spring are further off than in Ireland etc. I don't believe early settlers would have really splurged on using up their dried and cold storage foods because hard times (food wise) would still be coming.

I have always considered Beltane to be spring in Maine (though I can remember more than one with snow and ice - heck I remember a huge snow storm April 15).

BREAKFASTS
    PUMPKIN SCONES

PUMPKIN PANCAKES are good too

MAIDEN WAKES MUFFINS
    2 cups flour
    2 Carrots, grated
    1/2 cup raisins
    1 green apple, peeled, cored, grated
    1 cup sugar
    1/2 cup almonds, sliced
    2 tsp. baking soda
    3 eggs
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    2/3 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 tsp. salt
    2tsp.vanilla

Soak raisins in hot water, in a covered bowl, for 30 minutes. Drain thoroughly. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large non-metal bowl, mix flour, soda, cinnamon, and salt. Stir in carrots, raisins, apple, and almonds. In a separate bowl, beat eggs, oil, and vanilla until well blended. Stir egg mixture in to the flour mixture until just wet. Grease muffin pan with a little butter or use cupcake/muffin cups. Divide the batter into the cups and bake for 20-22 minutes, or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Makes 8 servings.

RETURNING SUN BREAD (*FRENCH TOAST)
    1 1/4 cup flour
    1/8 cup poppyseeds
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 cup raisins, plain or golden
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/2 cup butter/margarine
    1/2 tsp. ground ginger
    3/4 cup Karo golden corn syrup
    1/2 cup light brown sugar
    4 tbs. milk
    1 large egg, beaten
    1 tsp. mixed spices**

**Equal parts of cinnamon, nutmeg, and allspice.

Sift the flour, soda, and baking powder into a non-metal bowl. Add the mixed spice and ginger. Next add the brown sugar and raisins. Mix. Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. In a small sauce pan, melt the butter and the syrup over a low heat, then pour liquid into the well in the middle of the flour mixture. Add the beaten egg and the milk, and mix very well. Pour into a well greased 2-lb loaf pan and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for 40-50 minutes. This bread can be made the night before as it improves with age. Makes 8-10 servings.

IMBOLC DINNERS:
    TROUT or CANNED SALMON
    ---
    CHICKEN
    ORANGE HONEY GINGER CARROTS
    WILD RICE w/MUSHROOMS & ALMONDS
    1 cup uncooked wild rice
    1/4 cup butter or margarine
    1/2 cup slivered almonds
    2 tablespoons snipped chives or chopped green onion
    8 ounce can mushroom stems and pieces, drained
    3 cups chicken broth

Preparation Tips:
    Wash and drain rice. Melt butter in large skillet. Add rice, almonds, chives and mushrooms; cook and stir until almonds are golden brown, about 20 minutes.

Heat oven to 325 degrees. Pour rice mixture into ungreased 1 1/2 quart casserole. Heat chicken broth to boiling; stir into rice mixture. Cover tightly; bake about 1 1/2 hours or until all liquid is absorbed and rice is tender and fluffy. 6 to 8 servings.
    ----
    CHEESE BISCUITS
    IMBOLC CURRY
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 tablespoons curry powder SUB GM
    1 teaspoon whole mustard seeds
    1 onion, chopped
    1 (16 ounce) can coconut milk
    1 cup water
    2 medium potatoes, cubed
    1 sweet potato, cubed
    2 large carrots, sliced
    2 cups green beans, sliced
    1 cup frozen peas
    1 (16 ounce) can chickpeas, drained
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
    Directions
    1Heat oil. Add curry and mustard. When seeds pop, add onion. Saute. Add coconut milk and water. Boil. Simmer till thick. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, beans, peas, carrots, and chickpeas. Simmer 20 to 30 minutes until vegetables are tender. Salt to taste. Garnish with cilantro.

----
    CHEESE BISCUITS
    BRIGIT SOUP
    From "Circle Round" By Starhawk, Diane Baker and Anne Hill
    We use the color red to honor the returning light, and the promise of warmth to come. This unfussy pot of soup needs only a few minutes of chopping to prepare. All the ingredients are either red, orange, or yellow, for the colors of the fire that warms our eyes, hearts and stomachs.

1 1/2 t olive oil
    1 medium red onion, chopped fine
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
    1/2 to 3/4 C finely chopped red pepper
    6 C broth (beef or chicken, or vegetable for a meatless soup)
    2 C (3/4 lb) red lentils or yellow split peas
    1 16 oz can of chopped tomatoes, juice included
    1/2 t cumin
    1/4 t ground coriander
    1 T fresh lemon juice
    salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large pot, heat the oil and add the onion, garlic, carrots, and red pepper until they are soft. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, skimming any brown foam that may have formed.
    Cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Squeeze in the lemon juice and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
    ----
    IMBOLC FEAST LAMB STEW
    2- 1/2 lb. lamb neck chops
    1 tbs. lamb fat
    4 medium onions
    1 tbs. butter/margarine
    2 1/2 cups water
    4 medium potatoes
    1 tbs. parsley, chopped
    1 tsp. each salt & pepper
    1 tbs. chives, chopped
    Don't let the butcher trim the fat off of the lamb chops. Shred some of the excess fat and cook it down in a large pot or Dutch-oven. Peel the onions, carrots, and potatoes. Cut the onions and carrots into quarters, and put all the vegetables aside. Cut the meat into 8 pieces, and trim away the rest of the excess fat. The bones need not be removed. Place the meat in the hot fat and brown. Repeat with the onions and carrots. Add water, salt, and pepper carefully. Put whole potatoes on top. Cover pot and simmer gently until meat is cooked, approx. 2 hours. Remove from heat. Pour off the cooking liquid into a separate sauce pan, allow to cool for a few minutes, skim off grease, and reheat. Add butter, chives, and parsley to the reheated liquid in thesauce pan. Pour heated liquid back over the stew. Serve hot. Makes 4-6 servings.

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to HSLINKS For This Useful Post:

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: RIA's IMBOLC WEEK MENUS

love all of them! and I absolutely agree with you! however, I think maybe they were thinking in terms of offerring in hopes for greater rewards come Lammas or Mabon

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

the day went longer than expected so I tossed in box chicken (banquet), and am making cheese & bacon (chopped up so there is less bacon) topped potatoes with cayenne etc.

Not super healthy but handy at times having an emergency box something

Starting soups tomorrow since we have work all week .. I think Thurs (work starts at 3) I am going to try to make a custard, its been over 40 years (ouch) since I made a pudding or custard from scratch .. Bert is pulling over time this w/e so he probably won't be eating here at home (good thing I have extra in freezer for his lunch/dinners)

Ria

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Great menu. Thanks for the recipes!!

~ Misty