When to be worried with a childs weight

My three and 1/2 year old weighs over 50 lbs but she is also very tall. Her doctor said when she went for her last checkup that she was about the size of a normal 5 year old. Her doctor also seems to be not worried about this. I keep telling myself she will outgrow it. I get this because my 15 year

active, age, answers, bee, breakfast, childs, daughter, don, eat, food, grow, hat, lbs, older, tough, weight, weights, worried, worries, worry, year, candy, outgrow, exercise, doctor, thing, problem, activity, refrigerator, 24/7, continually, pulling, child, monitor, intake, ideas, mail, cute, managed, wait, mailpersons, bring, time, heart, skinny, normal, size, checkup, telling, pillsbury

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Question When to be worried with a childs weight

My three and 1/2 year old weighs over 50 lbs but she is also very tall. Her doctor said when she went for her last checkup that she was about the size of a normal 5 year old. Her doctor also seems to be not worried about this. I keep telling myself she will outgrow it. I get this because my 15 year old was the "Pillsbury doughbaby" (he has red hair and very fair skin and was a chunk when he was little) and he is now 6 ft 3 and skinny as a rail. She gets exercise on a daily basis either riding her bike or just running and playing. She has an indoor exercise trampaline that she jumps on all the time. So activity is not a problem. This child would eat 24/7 if I let her. I am continually pulling her out of the refrigerator. She does eat a little candy but its not an every day thing, even though she has some how managed to "cute her way" into the last mailperson's heart and they bring her candy with the mail. We take the candy and put it up and monitor her intake. Any ideas on what could be going on here? Should I just wait it out because she will outgrow it?
    Mdowdy

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mdowdy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: When to be worried with a childs weight

My daughter is the same way. She is five and weights 61lbs. I don't see how with her being so active. She would eat 24/7 if you let her also. Her Dr tells me not to worry about it that she will probably grow out of it as she gets older. She's always been right at borderline for being over her weight. Now she is over the weight line for her age. It worries me but I'm like you I don't understand it and I don't know what to do. Maybe you can find some answers. I know it's tough and you worry, I do to.

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

If your daughter is healthy in other ways, you really do not have anything to worry about at that age if she is active. Now if she sat and watched television all day then you could have a problem. The recommendation is that a child get at least 60 minutes a day of good exercise (something that really makes her heart pound or a little perspiration). If she is active she will eat often because she is burning up the energy from her food. Does she eat well when it is meal time? If not then you might have to time her snacks. Children should have a breakfast, a morning snack, lunch an afternoon snack, dinner, and an evening snack. Make the snacks fresh fruits and vegetables.

Sounds like she is at a good weight for her height. Most children do have a belly until they get around 7 or 8 then all of a sudden then seem to proportion out. A lot depends on her build as well-if she has a lot of muscle then of course she will weigh more. Sounds like she might end up being a tall girl and of course she will weigh more on the scales to compensate for her height.

Don't share any of your concern about her weight (or your own) when she is around. This could cause an eating problem for her as she gets older.

Okay I have rambled on in my professional mode, sorry about that-it is what a do to make a living-helping parents and children get healthier. Basically, feed her right, make sure she gets her activity daily, eat healthier yourself and she will be just fine

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

If she's proportionate for her height I don't believe its a problem. I've noticed that kids will eat a LOT maybe even out eat their parents just because they're still growing and burn energy a lot faster. Unless she's showing signs of sluggishness or slowing down I don't think there's a real problem. And as long as you're still monitoring her eating so she won't overdo it its fine. She may just be developing faster than the norm, I know a friend of mine stopped growing when she was around 11 since she developed much faster than everyone around her.

Budget101 Done Digging
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Both of my boys are bigger than the kids in their age group. But they are also much taller and very brood across they chest area. I was worried when they were younger too. The doc kept telling me that they were overwieght. But now they are older, everything seems to be evening out. I know my oldest is going to be tall, he is 12 years old, and wears a size 11 shoe. It's been a real challenge to keep up with his growing. So don't let the wieght thing get to you to much. Sounds like she is right on track.
    Tonia

Wisdom is doing now what you will be happy with later on.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Monitor what she is eating (be sneaky)
    figure the calories ..
    What is the fat intake?
    How much juice? (serving is 4 oz)
    How much milk?
    How much water? Is she getting enough? urine is supposed to be almost clear

Go to whole wheat bread
    Increase the veggies ..

Is she going to the bathroom (supposedly its at least 1-2 times a day for some its more is norm)?

Any health issues in the family? Diabetes? Heart? high Bp? etc

When you touch her, are you feeling muscle or fat?

When she is playing how long is she on the tramp (sustained time), how long running around outside?

If you start a light exercise program during the day, chances are she will too.

The stretch bands are usually great fun with kids ..

Try Richard Simmons tape (fast fun music) the moves are not sexy like some programs so appropriate for kids ..

Start a garden, let her do a small one herself this encourages more veggie eating. You can do baskets, window boxes if you don't have space

Ria

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

My youngest daughter has always been big for her age - shw is now 12 and 5 foot 7 1/2 -I would not worry unless your doctor is cocerned - just keep her active and offer her fruits and veggies or healthy snacks like popcorn . my doctor recommed only 2 -1/2 serving of juice per day - no pop - gatoraid -this is high in carbs .lots of water Bobbi -ne

Deal GURU
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks guys. I appreciate all the help. She eats her veggies so no problem there. With her doctor showing no concern I really wasnt all that concerned. But the so called nutrionist at wic is continually asking me what the problem is. And trying to make me feel like I am doing something wrong. I guess that is where the questions are coming from.
    Mdowdy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast