Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Supplements of Diabetic Interest

Here is a list of supplements that I have found and most of which I tested to see if they would help me with controlling my diabetes.

The ones that I found to have a direct effect on my blood sugar were Bitter Melon and Gymnema Sylvestre, particularly when taken prior to a meal and/or taken prior to exercise.

Whatever supplements/vitamins/minerals you choose to use from this list, please make sure you check with your physician for their advice on using supplements in conjunction with your current therapy because different medications react differently with supplements.

Source: Myself

Currently, I use ALA, Bitter Melon, Gymnema Sylvestre, and Brewer’s Yeast. I also eat extra virgin coconut oil to assist me in my weight loss and appetite control.

I also suggest doing your own research, which I am sure you will. Diabetes is a personal disease, and what supplements will work for one will not work for others.

Supplements/Herbs of Diabetic Interest

ALA (Alpha Lipoic Acid) This is a must take supplement because it helps to protect your nerves against the toxic effects of having excess glucose circulating in your system. It also helps with neuropathy, which your child has not had a chance to develop yet. This is also taken to help with blood sugar numbers.

Alpha Lipoic Acid - What You Need to Know About Alpha Lipoic Acid

Brewer’s Yeast (Potent source of the best bioavailable chromium. Plus, contains other B vitamins.)

Glucomannan (A fiber which can absorb some of the carbs of a meal to help keep the blood sugar from going up.)

Bitter Melon (I have read in places that children SHOULD NOT use this supplement due to hypoglycemic coma. Unfortunately, this occurred in children with normal blood sugar when they went into the supplement and took several without permission from parents. I don’t think you would have to worry about this with a diabetic child, but PLEASE ask your doctor first. )
    Bitter Melon - Diabetes Health

Gymnema Sylvestre
    Made From Gymnema Sylvestre: A pill that kills your taste for sugar, and an extract that reportedly cuts high blood sugar - Diabetes Health

Fenugreek
    Fenugreek - Diabetes Health

Cinnamon ( I did not have good results with Cinnamon, so I discontinued using it. Others have reported better results.)
    Cinnamon May Lower Blood Glucose and Cholesterol - Cinnamon and Diabetes

Chromium
    Diabetes Monitor - chromium as adjuvant therapy for type 2 diabetes and impaired glucose tolerance

Source: My own research
    Last edited by d_awalker; 02-02-2009 at 11:01 PM.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to d_awalker For This Useful Post:

Mod Squad
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Supplements of Diabetic Interest

I have heard that pumpkin is a big bonus for helping to regulate blood sugars. Use it for making pancakes, muffins, etc.

Great reminder to check with your doctor-there is a limit to how much of all of these items to take daily due to overdosing and complications with other medicines.

Thanks for sharing

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Supplements of Diabetic Interest

I have not heard the information about pumpkin helping to regulate blood sugar, but it is a good "fruit" for diabetics anyway. It is highly nutritious and full of fiber. Maybe it is the fiber in the pumpkin that helps.

April