Raleigh, North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Default Easy Chili (requires pre-cooking beef)

Easy Chili
    2 pounds ground beef
    1/2 onion, chopped
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1/2 tsp garlic powder
    2 1/2 c. tomato sauce
    1 cup salsa (thick and cheap)
    4 tbsp chili powder
    2 15 oz cans kidney beans (mix dark and light as you want)
    Brown ground beef with onions and some of the chili powder; drain. (If you use high-fat ground beef like I usually do, REALLY drain it! I have actually rinsed once or twice before, but you just have to test it.) Throw everything in to the crock pot and set for as long as possible. Serve topped with shredded cheddar and saltines or jalapenos as your crowd likes. I have doubled this many, many times for parties and pot lucks.
    I have also made this stove-top several times when I forgot to crock-pot it. Just brown and drain the ground beef in a large skillet (same one you use for hamburger helper) and add the rest of the ingredients. Cover, let simmer on medium-low for at least a half-hour, longer if possible. This is good for a half recipe when the house isn't full.
    P.S. Per the web site where I originally found this recipe (pre-tweaking), here is the nutritional info. Not exactly low-fat or low-carb, but easy and yummy!
    Nutrition Info
    Servings Per Recipe: 8
    Amount Per Serving
    Calories: 504
    Total Fat: 32.4g
    Cholesterol: 96mg
    Sodium: 1277mg
    Total Carbohydrates: 26.8g
    Dietary Fiber: 9g
    Protein: 26.5g

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mos For This Useful Post:

What's a Budget?

Default Easy (Cheater) Chili

I make this when I have VERY limited time but it tastes good. This can easily be made for under $3 for 8 1-cup servings.

Easy CHEATER Chili
    1/2 lb. ground beef(prebrowned and frozen might save a little time)
    1 28 oz. jar of salsa(about $1 - 1.50 on sale, the one with corn is good!)
    2 15 oz. cans of chili beans(or 4 cups of you fave leftover dry beans)

Brown(or heat) the beef in a large sauce pan. Add the salsa and beans and bring to a good heat. Simmer for as long as you like. The longer the better but it can be eater very soon after getting thoroughly heated.

This is NOT the only chili we eat(we love all kinds calico, hot & spicy, sweet or white) but it's a great meal to toss together in under 5 minutes if you're in a hurry.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to semomom42 For This Useful Post: