Novice at canning and jarring.

Novice at canning and jarring.

Does anyone do this? I am going to be starting this as a lifestyle change as soon as my book gets here. Im looking forward to doing veggies, fruit, spaghetti/pasta sauces, and jams/jellies. mainly to save money.... How much do you save in comparison?

advice, book, canning, change, feedback, forward, fruit, jams, jarring, lifestyle, love, money, novice, pasta, save, save money, spaghetti, star, starting, veggies, comparison, hear, jams/jellies, cons, pros, spaghetti/pasta, sauces

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Budget101 Guru
    Currently, Arizona,USA- soon to be Davao, Philippines
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Novice at canning and jarring.

Does anyone do this?

I am going to be starting this as a lifestyle change as soon as my book gets here.

Im looking forward to doing veggies, fruit, spaghetti/pasta sauces, and jams/jellies.

mainly to save money....

How much do you save in comparison?

what are the pros and cons of canning? I would love to hear your feedback as a novice.
    any advice?

thanks!
    Terra , Wife to Kevin, Mom to Cassidy (12) and Ciara (2)

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to naturalmommy For This Useful Post:

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

Default Re: Novice at canning and jarring.

Well, I hope you are not disappointed when you find out the Do's & Don'ts of canning your own foods. It's simple if you follow the rules, complicated if you don't.

Start with a Boiling Water Canner for doing jams, jellies, fruits, pickled items and some tomato recipes. There are referred to as "high-acid" foods. When you get experienced and comfortable doing these items, then consider the expense of

Getting a Pressure Canner for doing meats and vegetable items. These are "low-acid" foods where it is easy to produce the Botulism Toxin so it requires much higher temperatures to kill the spore that creates it.

For safety reasons, all safe recipes that are published have been thoroughly tested in a laboratory by food scientists before releasing to the public. There are a lot of recipes on the internet that are NOT tested so you have to learn the difference. And of course, doing your own recipe (untested) is highly discouraged.

Canning was required by our ancestors before freezing and refrigeration was available, but there has been a recreational interest over the years, especially for people that have access to large amounts of seasonal fresh food, such as a farm, and people doing "small batch" canning from their personal garden or when they get a good deal at the market, etc. Some do it just to end up with a high quality food without lots of salt or preservatives in it.

Making jams, jellies and preserves is a lot of fun, but you will appreciate the "art" of it because it is not guaranteed to gel if you don't pay attention. It often takes some trial and error. Enjoy the experience and learn from it.

Get your Ball Blue Book of Preserving and almost any other canning book printed "after" 1990 and read them thoroughly. Also visit the National Center for Home Food Preservation which is THE authority on the subject.

Good Luck.
    Last edited by mcnerd; 01-28-2009 at 04:19 PM.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

You are awesome!!!!!!!! thanks so much for the tips and information.

A friend recommended the Ball Blue book, and my husband ordered it a couple of days ago... hence the post. I cannot wait to get it.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

You're welcome. I'm also the acting moderator at the BallŪ Canning message board where I get a lot of similar questions and try to help people. It also has a lot of recipes there.
    I used to eat a lot of natural foods until I learned that most people die of natural causes.

Budget101 Guru
    Downloads
    Uploads

one weird advantage of non jellied jellies, jams is it makes the BEST syrups .. keep in fridge ..

Ria

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
    You're welcome. I'm also the acting moderator at the BallŪ Canning message board where I get a lot of similar questions and try to help people. It also has a lot of recipes there.
    is that board here? Or on another website? I will need to do some research!

thanks!

Budget101 Guru
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

Quote Originally Posted by HSLINKS View Post
    one weird advantage of non jellied jellies, jams is it makes the BEST syrups .. keep in fridge ..

Ria
    NICE idea. Thanks so much!

Smart Budgeter
    Blog Entries
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am a part of home_canning, which is a yahoo group. They have been very helpful and only allow safe recipes.

Shannon

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast